I don't consider it a mistake. I think that being ugly can be distracting, but I'm not going to insist on only photographing beautiful people. And the rule of thirds isn't followed very often. I'm just saying that I wish people would look past the catch lights and critique the rest of the picture. After hearing the lights are distracting in the same thread a few times, I get the point.
And I don't want to be conventional. I don't want to do everything the way people think it should be done. If everyone did that we would be no where in terms of art.
I'm not getting paid yet. I'm a student in my first semester of college and I'm only 18. I don't have parents to buy everything I want. All I own now is my D300s, I'm borrowing the lens from the photography program at my school. I wanted to get the camera first and I will be working on building up my equipment. And I am very serious about this.
And the reason I was being "defensive" was because someone asked if I like them and I do. I don't consider that defensive.
Also, please don't consider this post to be defensive, because it's not meant to be. I'm simply replying to everything Pugs said.
Thank you all for your suggestions. I really just asked because I wanted to know if it was a rule or a preference.