What's new

Caterpillar attack! ...plus newborn leaves and a charming little flower.

Jaemie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
340
Location
Puyallup, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a walk south of Seattle, yesterday. (all f/5.6, ISO 100)

$Caterpillar 1.webp

$Red Leaves 1.webp

$Green Buds 2.webp

$Pink Flower 1.webp
 
In general, I try to avoid significant cropping, and not only because my camera shoots at a maximum 6MP making loss of detail a real issue. I just prefer getting the photograph "right" (as much as I can) when I press the shutter release. But this isn't always practical. In the above set, even though I like the last image best as it is, with the flower presented as tiny and fragile against a large, hard concrete background, I think a crop also works well to show some of the flower's detail. Here's an alternative:

$Pink Flower 1 cropped.webp
 
I like these images as a whole; i especially like how the softness of the flower is projected against the harshness of the rocks; is your subject of interest Nature?

Regards :D
 
First impressions: - you will do all the reviewers a definite favour, if you would number your images when you are posting them - makes it a lot easier to refer to them - thanks.
1) Most of this is out of focus except maybe the caterpillar's head - probably need to use a larger f/stop.
2) This one does nothing for me - nice snapshot - but that's all for me.
3) I like this one, particularly the angle that it was taken at - gives a nice sense of "unfolding" of the newborn leaves.
4) I like the second version of this one better as I can see more detail in the flower and, for me, that is a good thing. I also like the contrast with the pavement background and the fact that it is more bokeh than not.

My 0.02¢ FWIW.
_____________________
WesternGuy
 
I have a personal suggestion... why you use such a blurred image for yourself... it is a visual sore to see a beautiful face in such a bad way... actually that may even affect how people see images posted by you ;)

Regards :D
 
I like these images as a whole; i especially like how the softness of the flower is projected against the harshness of the rocks; is your subject of interest Nature?

Thank you. My interest varies, but has been more focused on nature the past few months. It just depends on what catches my eye, I suppose.

I have a personal suggestion... why you use such a blurred image for yourself... it is a visual sore to see a beautiful face in such a bad way... actually that may even affect how people see images posted by you ;)

Regards :D

I appreciate the kind words. :) When I prepared that avatar I was so unhappy with the original photo that I decided to give it a motion blur for a sense of movement. I never imagined that it might affect how others perceive my photos, however. Thank you for the insightful feedback - I'm going to work on this.
 
First impressions: - you will do all the reviewers a definite favour, if you would number your images when you are posting them - makes it a lot easier to refer to them - thanks.
1) Most of this is out of focus except maybe the caterpillar's head - probably need to use a larger f/stop.
2) This one does nothing for me - nice snapshot - but that's all for me.
3) I like this one, particularly the angle that it was taken at - gives a nice sense of "unfolding" of the newborn leaves.
4) I like the second version of this one better as I can see more detail in the flower and, for me, that is a good thing. I also like the contrast with the pavement background and the fact that it is more bokeh than not.

My 0.02¢ FWIW.
_____________________
WesternGuy

Thanks for the helpful comments. I'll start numbering my photos.

In #1 (caterpillar), I really wanted only the head in-focus. It was a challenge to keep the leaf steady in the wind, holding it with my left hand. Plus, the little animal kept moving here and there.
 
First impressions: - you will do all the reviewers a definite favour, if you would number your images when you are posting them - makes it a lot easier to refer to them - thanks.
1) Most of this is out of focus except maybe the caterpillar's head - probably need to use a larger f/stop.
2) This one does nothing for me - nice snapshot - but that's all for me.
3) I like this one, particularly the angle that it was taken at - gives a nice sense of "unfolding" of the newborn leaves.
4) I like the second version of this one better as I can see more detail in the flower and, for me, that is a good thing. I also like the contrast with the pavement background and the fact that it is more bokeh than not.

My 0.02¢ FWIW.
_____________________
WesternGuy

Thanks for the helpful comments. I'll start numbering my photos.

In #1 (caterpillar), I really wanted only the head in-focus. It was a challenge to keep the leaf steady in the wind, holding it with my left hand. Plus, the little animal kept moving here and there.

A sufficient shutter speed will solve that no problem ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom