CC: NOT MY PHOTOS. I CAMPARE MYSELF TO HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who? Karissa? Shadowbox? GiGiPhotography?

Ah, you remember them all, by name!!! I wasn't dogging them, so their names are vague to me...but I do believe that "one" of those who was run out of here came back, like two months later...

All her shots are horribly soft too. That or my eyesight is deteriorating (again). I'd say don't compare your stuff to others', because it will drive you nuts. But then again, that's partially the point of this site ..

ALthough I agree we shouldn't compare ourselves to other photographers, I do think we ALL, to some point, look at their photos. We see things we like, things we don't like. We may even peek in and see how they were made.

I don't think we shouldn't compare our work to others. You should look at what's ahead of you, rather than what's behind you. Comparing yourself to lesser work teaches you absolutely nothing.

If you have a mentor that is great, but they should be someone skilled and knowledgeable who can really teach you.

But, you should really compare your current work to your past work and plan to evolve as a photographer for your future work.

The only way to see that you are improving your skills is to compare your current work to your past work.

I am also of the mind that this post is really in poor taste ethically.
You have seen good, you have seen bad and you know what to look for in basically good images. Validation is sometimes great to get, but getting it at the expense of a "friend" is never a good practice.

You obviously know there are issues with her work. You aren't blind and you have been in the forum long enough to see what technically GOOD, bad and fair images look like. Keeping your opinions to yourself and taking the morally high road is always in good taste. This post? Not so much. I'd expect it out of a high school mentality. I am really not trying to be rude and I know it sounds that way. It's just really tacky.

You really don't want to put yourself in the position of aspiring to be better than someone who has half assed skills. You want to aspire to something great and amazing and then when you achieve the ability to do that, you want to set your goals to learn to do something new... If you are setting your goals that low, you will meet them and be in the same class. Find one of the "greats" or even someone on flickr with amazing photos to concentrate on meeting and beating. Friends and family are never good for this kind of thing. It then puts you in the position of being a copycat or one upping the friend... Don't mix the two. It can cost you some major friends.

Op...I know you just got beaten up in this thread but don't let it keep you down. Brush the dirt off and learn from your mistake. You will learn way more focusing on yourself. Start by setting higher goals for yourself!! I'm sure people here will help you achieve them!! Keep shooting and keep posting!!

OMG, my goddess has arrived, lol.

Although you kinda look like a lobtster in that pic :lol:

Anything in black light with a short skirt????????

I'll PM them to you....lol

Some of you need to get off your high horses. This whole site is about comparing someone elses images to your own or others. A lot of you even state as much when critiquing. Saying," if this was mine, I would have done this or that instead of that or this."

Who? Karissa? Shadowbox? GiGiPhotography?

I vaguely remember them... Wasn't Karissa the one that started an epic fight, way back when... I don't remember exactly the context... I just remember reading from the laptop at the church where my husband has his practice spot while I was in the sanctuary playing around with lighting :lol:

I only remember the name "Shadowbox"... nothing about her.

And wasn't GiGiPhotography the pageant mom?

Some of you need to get off your high horses. This whole site is about comparing someone elses images to your own or others. A lot of you even state as much when critiquing. Saying," if this was mine, I would have done this or that instead of that or this."

Right, but it's also about humility isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back