cc on color White Balance... how does it look

One thing we no longer hear much about is that Nikon has encrypted its .NEF files for about 15 years now, and third-party software developers including Adobe take their best guess at white balance. If you compare the white balance between a raw file which is developed by Nikon capture and Photoshop or Lightroom often times you will find that there is a 1,000 to 800 degree Kelvin difference between the two programs. Seriously. This issue first arose around 2005 as I recall. Try 4200 instead of 5000-5200 if you are developing in an Adobe product.

Last edited:
One thing we no longer hear much about is that Nikon has encrypted its .NEF files for about 15 years now, and third-party software developers including Adobe take their best guess at white balance. If you compare the white balance between a raw file which is developed by Nikon capture and Photoshop or Lightroom often times you will find that there is a 1,000 to 800 degree Kelvin difference between the two programs. Seriously. This issue first arose around 2005 as I recall. Try 4200 instead of 5000-5200 if you are developing in an Adobe product.
okay i cannot wait to dive in and try this...... it has to wait for today.. i am making dinner without electric.. we have generator going..Thank you Derrel

Last edited:
Derrel's recommendation regarding setting a custom white balance is excellent.

yes..Derrel knows his photographic skills

Not sure if this will really be helpful or not.
I opened my Mac's Digital Color Meter app and with my cursor over an area that maybe should be neutral, I took a screenshot. I did that for your parrot image and the middle one of the dogs.
I cropped in Ps and put a tiny red circle or square on the spots that Digital Color Meter was reading.
I set it to show sRGB rather than my usual LAB.

49021525626_527bcae07e_o.jpg

You can see the spot over the parrot's eye is weighted toward green and blue. If it's supposed to be more neutral white, one would need to increase red (a broad generalization - more complex than that in practice).

49021525666_47f8db6e99_o.jpg

Here Digital Color Meter is reading the cage behind the pooches. The red, green and blue values aren't so very far apart from each other, but yet there is still an over all coolness with green and blue higher than red.

A tool like this can be used to change the color cast of an image.
Or one can wing it and simply apply a gentle warming filter in the editing app and see how one likes it.

I won't pull a screenshot of the metering app showing the photo forum's values on this page, but the app says things are pretty neutral on the backgrounds. The background of our comments is 245, 245, 245. Not pure white, but neutral.
The background that surrounds our comments is 235, 235, 235. A slightly darker neutral.

yes this helps alot.. thank you... what a difference..

dogs 006-002.JPG
blue jay 053-003.JPG
i think i am doing okay now...
blue jays 005-001.JPG

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back