Vintage Cameras and Noteworthy Photographs

mikep64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am not a collector but came into possession of quite a few vintage cameras. I realize most don't have much value but I do have a No.1 Autographic Kodak Jr. which a picture it took of the Hindenburg flying over Connecticut in 1936.

My question is, if you have a camera that took a picture of something somewhat noteworthy, does that raise the value of the camera?

First pic is the camera and thought I would just include pics of some of the others I came into possession of.

DgNeIeB.jpg

R3ivoEE.jpg

Dc1lVpB.jpg

w64gtuF.jpg

22ySFwP.jpg

fg6yFED.jpg

As with all questions of items and their value...... provenance is important.
How do "You" know that camera ABC took picture XYZ.?

BTW..... looks like you have a lot of neat stuff there. :)

As with all questions of items and their value...... provenance is important.
How do "You" know that camera ABC took picture XYZ.?

BTW..... looks like you have a lot of neat stuff there. :)

+1.

Agree with above, unless you can prove that the camera was used or provide evidence that makes it extremely likely then it is just another camera with a story (and everything has a story if you look hard enough). Even with the proof I suspect that unless the time of the photograph is significant (i.e. moments before it burst into flames) then it probably only adds a small amount of value - ultimately a thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it so you would need to find a particular market that this item would be of interest to a certain type of person.

Thinking about it may be more likely that that the camera adds value to the photograph - here's an original picture of the Hindenburg and here is the camera that took it!

Very cool though that you have this

oh and errr you say you are not a collector?.... really? are you sure? ;)

My question is, if you have a camera that took a picture of something somewhat noteworthy, does that raise the value of the camera?

In almost all cases....no. Maybe the camera that took a shot of the Hindy on fire...but I doubt it. Or if the camera was one used say by Ansel Adams to shoot one of his famous pics then yes, although only one of his cameras has came up for auction and not sold.

Ansel Adams' Arca-Swiss 4x5 View Camera Outfit used from 1964 to | Lot #73065 | Heritage Auctions

Most reactions

New Topics

Back