Celebrant

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of ours is a newly qualified Humanist Funeral Celebrant (someone who takes non-religious funerals) and she wanted a "profile photo" for her website. This one is my favourite, she's not sure if she'll use this one yet or one of the others. I've done two crops.
Single strobe in a softbox high and to camera left, fill from a window camera right through a diffuser, and a strobe through a snoot onto the background. I did very little in PS as her (very few) wrinkles show maturity and add gravitas. Personally I prefer the tighter crop, partly because the eyes are right on the 1/3 line. Comments and suggestions are, as usual, welcome.

Dawn-6488-2_small.jpg

Dawn-6488_small.jpg

I agree; the tighter crop is better. A funeral celebrant should connect with her potential clients, and the closer, more intimate portrait does that.

I think her attire and persona is entirely appropriate. My first thought about the portrait was; "I wonder if the light is a bit too strong?"

While I like the first crop for the reasons you stated, it seems abrupt, almost unbalanced. For that reason I pick the second crop, as my preference.

Well that's quite a mouthful but she does look rather funereal. I prefer the second crop as it shows that wonderful collar in full.

I think you nailed the pose and lighting. Crop-wise, I would split the difference. Just low enough to include all the collar and enough right for most of the hair. Nicely done!

Last edited:
Crop or not, just a wonderful lady and photo! You nailed the lighting.

... My first thought about the portrait was; "I wonder if the light is a bit too strong?"
I tend to agree, I think it's borderline. If she decides to use that shot I'll have another look in LR and see if I can bring it down just a shade on the left side of her face.

I'll also try the crop suggested by John which should take care of the doubts of Donde and Smoke665. :)

Needed a quick comb thru the hair. I think as women move or change poses the hair moves and needs to be checked and adjusted before the next pose/picture. I agree about a crop halfway between the two might work.

Needed a quick comb thru the hair. I think as women move or change poses the hair moves and needs to be checked and adjusted before the next pose/picture. I agree about a crop halfway between the two might work.
While I was watching a video on portraiture, I noticed that the photographer's assistant went over to the model and spritzed a tiny bit of water on the hair and smoothed it with her hand. Not a comb.

This is assuming the hair is already well combed, but is starting to fly away in places. The water cancels the static electricity charge and the hand smooths the stray hairs down.

Might be worth a shot. :)

While I like the first crop for the reasons you stated, it seems abrupt, almost unbalanced. For that reason I pick the second crop, as my preference.

I think you nailed the pose and lighting. Crop-wise, I would split the difference. Just low enough to include all the collar and enough right for most of the hair. Nicely done!

I agree with these two wise gentlemen; the tighter crop seems unbalanced to me as well. Tirediron's cropping suggestion I also agree with.

Good lighting, just enough skin detail to look real, and excellent makeup.

She was wearing a synthetic wig (similar to her own hair but fuller) and they are terrible for flyaway strays! I did attempt to flatten it somewhat but it didn't work well. I didn't worry about it too much because the image that will be displayed in the website will be no more than an inch or two high and it will hardly be visible.

While I was watching a video on portraiture, I noticed that the photographer's assistant went over to the model and spritzed a tiny bit of water on the hair and smoothed it with her hand. Not a comb.

This is assuming the hair is already well combed, but is starting to fly away in places. The water cancels the static electricity charge and the hand smooths the stray hairs down.

Might be worth a shot. :)

Do you know if the water spritz idea works on synthetic hair? I may try that for future use on one of my wife's wigs just to see. Thanks! :)

Thanks everyone, I'll do the suggested crop now and post it in a couple of hours. :encouragement:

Re-cropped as suggested, hair tidied and brightness reduced slightly around her right upper cheek.

Dawn-6488-3_smallb.jpg

Why, heck yeah! I'd let her do my funeral! :eyebrows:

Think you got it. Very nice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back