Celeste bikini 4 C&C

Work? All I see is a hot girl??

In the first-- your light is hotter and harder than your normal work. It's not bad it's just different than your other stuff. It's a nice shot. It's not highly dramatic but it's solid work.

The second is, in my opinion a bust as far as a portfolio piece. You are right about the pose and you know it's not as strong of a piece as what you normally produce. Her hands disappear into the sand, the pose minimizes any curve she might have, the arm shadow is distracting and your highlights are close to if not totally blown. I'm sure it's a piece that will sell but it's not your finest.

I hope my comments don't sound unnecessarily harsh. It's just that you have produced many other fantastic images for me to compare these to.

Lovely model, nice work and as always, very nice of you to share.

#1. The light is stronger/brighter than usual for your shots (which usually have a softer feel). It feels like a speed light or soft box to the left of the photo aimed at the front of the model. I like the pose. I also like how she's framed by the two pilings from the pier. The rear piling bothers me...it's dark (that's fine) and out of the DoF (that's fine) but combined with everything else, my first assumption was that it was a composite--that you'd added it from another photo--I'm not saying you did, only that it appears that way to me. And the glare on her forehead and left shoulder bother me a little. Overall, lovely model, lovely pose, terrific location.

#2. I really like the concept and the general pose. But the specifics of the pose have some issues to me in this case. I really wish I could love this photo b/c conceptually there is a lot going for it. For one, as wyogirl points out, her hands are buried in the sand so it cuts off the flow of her long, lovely arms. For another (and this is the bigger one for me), she's got curves but you can't tell b/c of the positioning of the arms. If you had the arms so that the wrists met in the center....we'd see her hips and an hour-glass shape. Oh...and that would also push her breasts together and she'd get a cup size bigger (which...if we're talking any kind of glamour look or sexy swimsuit, would be a plus--no pun intended). Or if the arms instead took 15 degree angles to the outside (exposing her hips). In short--I want to see some air/space between each arm and her torso. Instead, the current positioning makes her 5-10 pounds heavier. But I really like the color, how you framed her with the rocks, the concept of the pose, the angle--lots here that I think is good.

And we all know how challenging it is to shoot at the beach. If it isn't blowing sand that makes it suicide to swap out lens or filters, it's blownout highlights from glare and sun.

It was difficult at that second location, which was the first up on the north coast. Blowing cold wind, she couldn't hear my direction!

The first image was the second location, south inside the Monterey bay and sheltered, warmer too.

Ya, I struggle in the sun. Thanks for the comments you're all spot on!

I agree with the above. But the model and the locations are wonderful. The photos are still really nice and WAY better than what I could do. :)

Not sure I am happy with my edit. What do you think?

_POR5034-Edit
by Bill Grayson, on Flickr

This one I am not so happy with the pose but her face!

_POR4911-Edit
by Bill Grayson, on Flickr
I love the first shot, and my first impression was that it was a fashion shot. She seems eight heads tall, as the fashion illustrators would put it, but the proportions seem natural here. I also think the contesting shadows and light areas add interest to the photo.

Most reactions

Back