Central Digiat question???

HFPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The other day I was talking to a local photography equipment company about the Canon 7D. I am planning on buying it. Everywhere around here is selling it for the same price 1599. I told them that a few people told me about Central Digital online and how the pricing is 1200 for it. He went on to tell me that those cameras are imports usually from China. He says people bring them over here and strip out the insides and put different ones in making it so cheap. He said that his company is an authorized dealer of Canon. Does anyone know if that really true? If I should be worried about buying from them? Or if its better to pay 300 dollars more from a local company selling extended warranty's

Also any recommendation on lens to go with the 7D? I was looking at the 24-70 f2.8 he said to do the 17-55 F2.8 with the image stabilizer?

I also told him I had the 50mm 1.8 canon and he said I should also get the 80mm1.8 but I thought those two lens are mostly the same?
I am only doing portraits, families, kids, toddlers, newborns. Inside and outside. My studio inside is in a very small 10*10 room so I cant back up that far.

Thanks for the help!

Lol! I bought T1i, a 5D mk2 and a 16-35 2.8L off them in the last 6 minutes and they are not from China! The lens came with warranty card but the bodies didn't. I called Canon and said that wasn't an issue because bodies don't come with warranty cards. You would register them online through Canon's website. I will check the box just again to make sure if it has the warranty card.

He says people bring them over here and strip out the insides and put different ones in making it so cheap. He said that his company is an authorized dealer of Canon. Does anyone know if that really true?

He's bull-sh*tin' you. However, it is possible that the cheap camera is grey market. If you live in the US and buy a Canon camera from an authorized dealer you'll be buying a camera that was imported into the US buy Canon USA. It will be warranted by Canon USA. The cheap camera may have been imported into Honduras buy Canon Honduras and then loaded on a truck and smuggled across that porous Texas border. That camera is warranted by Canon Honduras -- same camera, but if it needs warranty service; good luck with that.

Verify the import/warranty status of the camera before you buy.

Joe

I just called Central Digital and they just told me that they are IMPORTED bodies. The ones they have now are. The ones from when I bought 2 months ago should be USA body and has USA warranty on it. They said to call Canon again and talk to them. But my body is registered through Canon USA Warranty online when I bought it.

The body itself says "Made in Japan with a serial number which matches the box serial number.

Last edited:
So I am on their website now. That's what it says. I believe when I purchased mine, it didn't say that. Although they asked me to call their customer service dept tomorrow to ask them just to make sure. They didn't have the import model when I purchased mine (around 3 months ago) and said their box would be marked "import model" or something like that. Also the price was more for the model I have than what it is now ($2250)

***Import Model***

About USA Domestic and Import Model Products

Any item marked as "USA Model" is an item which was imported and/or distributed directly by the manufacturer or the manufacturer's official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by the manufacturer. Items marked as "Import Model" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by Central Digital. Import model products do not qualify for manufacturer's rebate programs. If you are interested in the USA Domestic model please call us at 1-800-896-4661 for price and availability.

But look at the Canon T1i - Part no: 3818B002 USA Model

http://www.centraldigital.com/Product/?10790582

So looks like they carry both models and seems like they are out of the 5D MK2 USA model right now.

About USA Domestic and Import Model Products

Any item marked as "USA Model" is an item which was imported and/or distributed directly by the manufacturer or the manufacturer's official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by the manufacturer. Items marked as "Import Model" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by Central Digital. Import model products do not qualify for manufacturer's rebate programs. If you are interested in the USA Domestic model please call us at 1-800-896-4661 for price and availability.

Setting aside the question of legality in this (in some states it's illegal for good reason) -- this practice of selling "import models" indicates a lack of integrity on the part of the retailer. It really p*sses off the legitimate importer (Canon USA) because they lose sales and it really p*sses off the retailers with integrity who opt not to do this -- they lose sales.

Joe

Yeah that's true. I also noticed that my T1i is USA model but no warranty card came with it. But I registered both bodies through Canon's website right away.

One thing to point out. Regardless to it being import or USA model, you will still get 1 year warranty. If USA model, it's through Canon. If Import, then it's through Central Digital - also 1 year. After that, you gotta pay Canon anyway to get it serviced.

Aside from that, I have insurance through State Farm which will cover any damage, loss, period. No deductibles. Only costing me $22/mo.

Most reactions

Back