change sky?

owlwayswithlove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_1596resized.jpg can anyone show me how to change the sky color to blue? Preferably an easy way, im new to using photoshop CC. I can also you corel paintshop pro6. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone show me how to change the sky color to blue? Preferably an easy way, im new to using photoshop CC. I can also you corel paintshop pro6. Thanks

learn how to do it in camera first. The picture, overall, is overexposed. That does nothing but make skies worse in regards to looking blue. You've completely clipped the whites if you look at the histogram.

Adding in a blue sky is only going to look fake, just like in the above tutorial.

Last edited:
The problem with changing an overcast sky to a blue sky is that the rest of the scene looks off. On a blue sky day there are much harder shadows which can't be replicated. Plus colors are a bit richer. The best bet is to do a graduated fade from the top.

not a bad edit.

if my sky is blown out, then I'll use a graduated filter to lower the exposure on it similar to above. If there's no room for recovery, then so be it.

Situations like this, I would probably take two exposures, one for the face, one for the sky and blend them, but not overkill.

or use a flash

or use a reflector

or wait for a different time of day

or use a different part of the sky - shooting with the sun behind you typically lessens a washed out sky.

or shoot directly towards the sun and run with it

or expose for the sky, then set your camera to +2.0EV, and recover the sky where needed.

or expose for the face, then setting your camera to -2.0EV, and recover the face/subject by +2EV.

or use a CPL filter. (or a GND filter if the subject is low enough in frame)

or use aperture priority mode and just expose using f/16 or smaller.

or ...

Last edited:
I'd likely use a fill flash, which would allow me to darken the background/sky but still retain a proper exposure on the subjects face.

Jake

yes, even the pop-up flash could have done that shot wonders.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back