Changing focus in long exposures

robertandrewphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've never seen anyone try this, but I thought it was a kind of cool technique. These images were all over 10 seconds in exposure time.

Tent.jpg

Farm5x7.jpg

Orange5x7.jpg

There is very minimal editing in all 3 shots. I only used the RAW profile to correct colors.

All comments welcome.

Different. The technique has created a shadow effect in some, and I like the dreamy-like look to the exposures.

HOW LONG WAS THE EXPOSURE?

Defenetly different... Not sure if its my style, but I cannot say it looks bad.

1st shot was 25 seconds, 2nd was 30 seconds, 3rd was 25 seconds.

Photobucket really crippled the quality of these photos sadly. They are much more vibrant and lively on my computer....especially 2 and 3.

Neat!

I've never tried this save when doing a faster shot and more changing the zoom rather than the focus point. The only focus changing I've done in a shot would be focus stacking, which doesn't give that dreamy effect that you've gotten here.

That said it also looks like you had very selective lighting in these shots as well - maybe you should show the method itself at least clearer/purer to see how it directly affects a photo with a more even light source/time of day (earlier in the evening or ND filters during the day).

Edit - Check your colourspace - you want sRGB for the internet and not adobeRGB or any other. Most browsers do not do colour managing and thus if you use anything other than sRGB you won't get the right colours to show.
Also always resize before uploading and sharpen your shots yourself for the net.

Also... on photobucket, before you post the image there.... resize it to the size you want to post. If you let PB resize it, their algorithms will suck the life out of an image....

These might work better with better subjects / foregrounds. But these don't do anything for me...

These photos were simply the product of a normal night shoot turned into an "I wonder what will happen if I do this..." sort of experiment. I will try to recreate the technique with a more suitable subject the next time I get a chance....hopefully within the next week or so.

Thanks for the tips on online conversions as well, I'll definitely keep those in mind on my next upload.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back