Changing my business name, need ideas and input.

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my business has been up and running for about 3 months now, at first I didn't want to take a lot of time thinking of my business name and now I'm regretting it. My current business name is Photography By Shannon, it's not bad I guess but it's very boring and not very "catchy". I'm currently doing outdoor photos until I get my indoor studio set up which should be mid September and there is a lot of competition in my area so I'm wanting a name that people will remember. People have told me that my photography is modern but also vintage so I've thought of a few ideas....Modern View Photography, Modern Light Photography, Creative Captures (although I believe this one has already been used). All I'm asking for is some feedback on those names or any new ideas. Thanks in advance! :)

Modern Moments in Time Captured by Precious Vintage Photography Lit by Shannon.

Vintage Memories Captured by Modern Photography

Modern Vintage Moments Captured by Light and Frozen in Time Photography

Creative Frozen Vintage Moments Lit by Modern Photography by Shannon

:salute:

What sort of experience do you have? Training? Technical or photography expertise in a specific area? Business expertise?

Assuming that your story is similar to 98% of the other people attempting to enter the industry, here are a few business names you might consider. I think you'll agree that all of them are real attention-grabbers! :sexywink:

Enthusiastic Beginner With A Nice Camera And A Dream Photography

My Friends And Family Tell Me I'm Awesome Photography

Passionately Passionate Photography

Modern But Vintage Is Not An Impossible Description I Swear Photography

Hope No One Finds Out I'm Not A Licensed And Insured Business Photography

---

In all seriousness though, why are you trying to start a business? If you're just going to shoot your girlfriends' kids and occasionally make a little spare change, then just do that without any sort of official sounding title. If you're going to start a business, unless you enjoy putting your entire livelihood on the line, you better get all your ducks in a row on the federal, state and local government/legal side. Ask any practicing professional photographer, doing what they (we, since I am one) do is about 80% business/marketing and 20% photography.

And by that I mean:

Welcome to The Photo Forum.

I'm feeling particularly honest today, so what I'm about to say, you're not going to like hearing... and there will guaranteed to be people who jump on here to tell me that I'm being a horrible person, but here goes:

Before you worry about what to name you business, you should probably learn photography better and get much more familiar with the concept of business.

First of all, no photographer should be running a "business" on $25 and $50 sessions, as advertised on your Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/Photographybyshannonmc

Those are ABSOLUTELY NOT sustainable numbers.

2... if you feel your work is not "good enough" to be charing more than that... then don't charge. Learn more. Get better... and THEN think about going into business much later down the road.

3... if you think you are good enough to be in business, then you're listening to your family and friends too much and putting too much value in their saying, "OH MY GOD, YOU'RE SO GOOD!!!!! YOU SHOULD GO INTO BUSINESS!" Have you ever seen American Idol where the people are so laughably terrible, but they audition anyway and are PISSED because they just DON'T understand why they weren't put through to Hollywood just because all their family and friends told them they were so good? But the rest of us are sitting staring at our TVs going, "Dude, you are ridiculously tone deaf..."??? I'm not saying that you're horribly laughable... what I'm saying is... never take what your family and friends tell you about your work seriously. They have rose-colored biased glasses on. Seriously

4... Legitimate photographers don't have .weebly addresses. They have actual domain names and don't display their work on free websites. Get a domain name if you want to be in business. People will take you more seriously.

5... Don't pick a cheesy name for your business. That's the mark of the "Promature".

6... But above all else, don't go into business yet.

NOW... I'm NOT saying this to be mean. I'm not saying this to discourage you... Rather, I'm saying this to ENCOURAGE you to learn more about your craft so that the first part of your motto "Quality photography" can be true... and I want to encourage you to learn (once it's time) what it takes to start a sustainable business... so the second half of your motto "at an unbeatable price" might still be able to be true, while you're able to actually PROFIT and not have your business sink.

I don't know you, but I assume that you love photography and that you're excited to do something with it... and that's wonderful. And you're in a great place to learn if you're open and receptive to it, but you MUST. Walk. Before you run.

Don't worry about the name.

Start posting about critique instead. Learn lighting... learn better composition... learn better processing... and the rest will follow.

What sort of experience do you have? Training? Technical or photography expertise in a specific area? Business expertise?

Assuming that your story is similar to 98% of the other people attempting to enter the industry, here are a few business names you might consider. I think you'll agree that all of them are real attention-grabbers! :sexywink:

Enthusiastic Beginner With A Nice Camera And A Dream Photography

My Friends And Family Tell Me I'm Awesome Photography

Passionately Passionate Photography

Modern But Vintage Is Not An Impossible Description I Swear Photography

Hope No One Finds Out I'm Not A Licensed And Insured Business Photography

---

In all seriousness though, why are you trying to start a business? If you're just going to shoot your girlfriends' kids and occasionally make a little spare change, then just do that without any sort of official sounding title. If you're going to start a business, unless you enjoy putting your entire livelihood on the line, you better get all your ducks in a row on the federal, state and local government/legal side. Ask any practicing professional photographer, doing what they (we, since I am one) do is about 80% business/marketing and 20% photography.

You posted before I finished typing up my response, but I agree with you 100%.

Last edited:
I'm feeling particularly honest today, so what I'm about to say, you're not going to like hearing... and there will guaranteed to be people who jump on here to tell me that I'm being a horrible person, but here goes:

Before you worry about what to name you business, you should probably learn photography better and get much more familiar with the concept of business.

First of all, no photographer should be running a "business" on $25 and $50 sessions, as advertised on your Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/Photographybyshannonmc

Start posting about critique instead. Learn lighting... learn better composition... learn better processing... and the rest will follow.

:hug:: :hail:

Last edited:
Without meaning to be a band-wagon-jumper-uponer, I have to agree with Emily and the others. Based on your facebook page alone, you are NOT where you should be if you're going to accept paying commissions. The first album I clicked on "Autum's Senior PHotos" is, I'm afraid, absolutely unacceptable, regardless of what your friends and familiy say. On the brick wall shot, you've missed focus and the subject is badly out of focus, the railroad track shots are desparately under-exposed, and the image on the stairs with the concret wall and electrical conduit behind? Ummm... very poor choice of background.

To echo Emily (e.rose), this is NOT meant to discourage, but rather to bring to your attention the fact that just because family and friends say you're a great photographer, that does NOT mean you're ready to hang our your shingle. Take a year and LEARN the basics of your craft. Do a search on some of the recent work that e.rose has posted; this is the sort of level you should be at when you are accepting payment for your work.

You can get there, and with a little effort, you will get there, but you are NOT there yet!

Do a search on some of the recent work that e.rose has posted; this is the sort of level you should be at when you are accepting payment for your work.

You can get there, and with a little effort, you will get there, but you are NOT there yet!

D'awwwww :blushing:

If it makes you feel any better Shannon...

This is the kind of stuff I was producing in the beginning:

4836078067_5ec29deff2_b.jpg

I desperately needed to learn how a reflector worked... Cause that was not the way to use it.

You should have seen it straight out of camera. I think the file is now corrupt or I'd pull it up (make sure you back up your files), but I tried to "save" it with dodging and burning.

I didn't.

:lol:

You can make HUGES strides in your progress, if you're willing to learn, and open and receptive to critique.

Seriously. You can. :hug::

... I needed to learn how a reflector worked... AND lighting in general for that matter. :lmao:

That was my first "people" shoot ever.

O.P., where did you go?

The first thing you should learn about progressing towards a photographer who charges for their work is that the opinions of your friends and family means absolutely nothing.

The second thing is that you better get some thick skin now and realize that the best way to learn is to show your work to people who are better photographersthan you, take their critique on the technical side and develop your own personal style.

However, before any of that happens, you have to have a solid understanding of every possible aspect of photography, a strong working knowledge of all of your gear and how to work in every shooting situation. Before you start a business, you absolutely must get the paperwork taken care of, get your insurance up to par.

Now, please respond and help us help you. If you've left with a chip on your shoulder, we're wasting time trying to help you.

Clicking the link doesn't take me to her facebook. Is it just me or is it happening elsewhere?

Clicking the link doesn't take me to her facebook. Is it just me or is it happening elsewhere?

She unpublished or deleted it.

Because I went to go find it the way I found it the first time (Ahhh Google) and the link is still there in Google (obviously, it hasn't even been 24 hours so it's still gonna be there), and it took me to my own page, unlike last time.

If you google and then click on the cached version of the page, it'll show you parts of it. You can click on photos, but you can see the timeline stuff.

Photography By Shannon - Mason City, IA - Photographer | Facebook

I think she is upset with us.

Oh well.

They don't like it when you try to help, I guess.

Well... that was a brave choice for a first post...

Hang in there Shannon.

NEVER give up on something you love! and NEVER post pictures of your own kids on this site, these guys are ruthless :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back