Changing Room

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I know it's noisy, this bothers me some, but noise isn't a huge issue for me in this kind of image. The situation was less than ideal, maybe 2' at the most between two buildings.

Comments welcome.

8004557108_f9cdcbb559_b.jpg

And yes. There was poop.

All I see is a bunch of trash/garbage on a floor. I'm puzzled as to what you are trying to show us???????????????

Were you in my basement lately? :)

Everything you see belonged to someone, served a purpose and is discarded. Someone out there knows exactly what they were doing when they wore the clothing. Someone knows exactly why the wood was cut into such odd shapes. Some of these articles may likely belong to a dead person. Some of these articles may belong to a person who has cleaned up. Some of these articles belong to a person still living on the streets.

That's kind of the thing about garbage. It wasn't always that way.

I'm really not into making prettiness. I don't want to gloss over things for the sake of eye candy. I'm not about to say it's the greatest image of all time or the greatest image I've ever taken, what it represents I don't think was terribly successful. However, if it's not successful that isn't because of what it is but rather what it isn't.

No problem with the subject matter, but it's not hanging together for me. At least part of the problem is the left side, which has very little that contributes anything, at least IMO. I would crop the left at the middle of that gray object with stars on it, or maybe even further to the right than that. Then maybe darken the pvc pipe and the top and upper right and left edges a bit. I sometimes find that in a busy composition like this, simplifying it by cloning some of the small bright spots helps.

Everything you see belonged to someone, served a purpose and is discarded. Someone out there knows exactly what they were doing when they wore the clothing. Someone knows exactly why the wood was cut into such odd shapes. Some of these articles may likely belong to a dead person. Some of these articles may belong to a person who has cleaned up. Some of these articles belong to a person still living on the streets.

That's kind of the thing about garbage. It wasn't always that way.

You failed to capture any of that with your photo. And, even if you did, who cares? The photo is not as compelling, or as thought provoking as you probably wanted it to be.

I am not sure if "thought provoking" is what I meant. I was more just expressing what I saw in it; I don't believe that art is about communication, so it's OK if you don't see the same thing I did.

OTOH, if you're not seeing anything - which by the sound of it this is the case - then that might be a problem.

Still, I wonder how much of this is the subject matter. To me, that's interesting in itself, that some subjects are just totally not worthy of photography and lack any redeeming quality at all. In my mind, there is a social statement there.

For some reason the combination makes me think of a discarded bedroom, the wood makes me think of the back of a large mirror frame and the stars on the grey item made me zoom in and look around, I then found feathers obv from a feather pillow from my personal perspective.
You made me zoom in and look around and that is a successful image.

I am not sure if "thought provoking" is what I meant. I was more just expressing what I saw in it; I don't believe that art is about communication, so it's OK if you don't see the same thing I did.

OTOH, if you're not seeing anything - which by the sound of it this is the case - then that might be a problem.

Still, I wonder how much of this is the subject matter. To me, that's interesting in itself, that some subjects are just totally not worthy of photography and lack any redeeming quality at all. In my mind, there is a social statement there.

If art isn't about communication to you, and you consider your photograph art, then I'm not sure why you shared it. Not only that, but the content of your image, or artwork, becomes impotent. You may as well leave the lens cap on.

I agree that it could be an interesting concept that some things are not considered worthy by society, and if you managed to capture that idea on film, I would certainly be interested. But I'm not sure a picture of a turd next to a stick really does it justice. (hope that doesn't come across too facetious).

Most reactions

Back