Charge family or not?

ahcigar1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many of you charge your family to take photos for them or to edit some of thier photos for them? I am noticing I am running into a bit of an issue. I try to be nice to my family and not charge them, but I am noticing more and more especially recently that they are beginning to take advantage of my nice gesture and wanting me to do things for them more often and getting more demanding for me to get things done faster. It never bothered me much before, but now that I have a 4 1/2 month old daughter my time is much more limited and doing all these favors is leaving me no time for my own personal photography. So I guess my question is do you all charge your family for your services or do you give them a free pass? If you do charge do you give a drastic discount? I feel like dealing with family members is a touch subject and I don't want to upset them, but at the same time I take a lot of time out of my days to do something for them with nothing in return.

FREE, Family comes first always!

Do it when you have the time to do it and make them realize that you are doing a favor and it has to be done in your own time.

Last edited:
That's a tough call. I don't think I would charge unless they offered, but I would also, at some point, make it clear that my time and efforts are valuable.

Or you could just start doing a really crappy job and maybe they won't want your services anymore. :lol:

Hmm, that is a tough one but yeah, I'd do it for free with limits and those would depend on the purpose of the shoot and how close a family member.

How many of you charge your family to take photos for them or to edit some of thier photos for them? I am noticing I am running into a bit of an issue. I try to be nice to my family and not charge them, but I am noticing more and more especially recently that they are beginning to take advantage of my nice gesture and wanting me to do things for them more often and getting more demanding for me to get things done faster.

Time to stop the freebies. Clearly they have decided that YOUR time is not particularly valuable. I would reply next time that they are 'demanding' quicker service, that all free services are provided at YOUR time/pace. As you have paying customers, they will take precedence, as will your family. If you have some additional time, you will work on it as you see fit. If they are displeased with this timeframe, give them some names of photographers that would be happy to provide them quicker service with payment.

It never bothered me much before, but now that I have a 4 1/2 month old daughter my time is much more limited and doing all these favors is leaving me no time for my own personal photography. So I guess my question is do you all charge your family for your services or do you give them a free pass? If you do charge do you give a drastic discount? I feel like dealing with family members is a touch subject and I don't want to upset them, but at the same time I take a lot of time out of my days to do something for them with nothing in return.

It doesn't appear that they have the same feelings. What exactly do these relatives do? You ought to turn the tables and start demanding they perform their job for YOU for 'free'. See how long it takes them to get the point.

Are you running a business? If so, then don't work for free.

Try this...next time they ask, say that you don't have time, but give them a referral to another photographer (preferably one who charges at lot).

Or just be honest with them, and tell them that it takes you a lot of time and effort and you would rather be spending that with your daughter. And if you're going to be spending time away from her, you need to be paid/compensated for that time.

Personally, I wouldn't charge family, but that also depends are you talking your brother/sister or 2nd cousin? I think it depends on how close you are and if they do things for you as well. I am a doctor and I don't charge my immediate family but outside of that it becomes a case by case basis.

My EXTREMELY close family gets free time ONLY when I have time. They know that because they are FREE and I am losing money to shoot them that they come in last behind every paying customer.
We also own a car dealership-a car wouldn't be free. Work on their vehicles isn't free. Would they expect it to be? Nope.
Set a precedent and let them know that you are honored to do this for them as a favor, but you are also very busy and in order to keep afloat you have to make a buck... You can only do it if and when you have empty appointment time and you can only do this for THIS set of family members. For the rest of the family you can do whatever you want-a discount rate? I do a friends and family deal for "everyone else" in the family and yet another "friends and family" deal for THOSE clients who are repeat customers to make them feel that they are extra special "friends."
It can be done in a very tactful manner that explains to them that you are struggling and in order to pay the bills you have to take the paying client first... Just think it through carefully and word it so that it's easy on them!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess I will just have to tell them that I will get to the photos when I get to them and have time.

Well, one idea is... "tell you what. You cook me and my family a meal, and I will use that time to work on the photos for you and your family."

Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess I will just have to tell them that I will get to the photos when I get to them and have time.

I think you will do alright, they should understand, time is money to you.

I have all the time in the world so I do not charge only my ex-wife I charge :lmao:

Immediate family... not a chance I would charge them for my time and printing is at cost if not intended as a gift.

I also have a Mates Rate for people that I have a close relationship with. A little something for my time, but is open to the barter system and printing is at cost.

Define family? Your Ma(in-law) & Pa(in-law)=free, your bro(in-law) & sis(in-law)=free, some cousin twice removed=charge.

It really depends on your relationship with them too. Are you very close? Are they only calling you about free photos?

When I say family I mean mom dad brothers and aunt uncle. All my family is close. If was doing photos for in-laws (would never do) I would charge them over my normal rate cause I hate them that much LOL.

I don't charge my family at all, and rarely charge my close friends (depending on what it is of course, although, I might ask them to buy me lunch or something.. heh), but I do let them know that it might take a little longer than they probably expect since i'm doing it in my free time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back