Cheap flash recommendation for D50

AluminumStudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aluminumstudios.com
I did some forum searching and reading and everyone keeps talking about expensive Nikon flashes for use with a D50.

I am on a tight buget and want to get a flash for my D50. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I'd like to be able to use it on the hotshoe as well as have it work like a slave flash sitting elsewhere in the room (it will go off in response to detecting the light from my built-in flash.)

I'm just a hobbyies looking for improvement over the built-in flash and I realizing that a <$100 isn't going to be as good as the Nikon flases people keep talking about, but I was wondering if someoen could make some suggestions since I'm a compelte flash n00b.

I heard that some older flashes can cause voltage spikes that can hurt the D50's electronics too? Is that true?

I don't mind learning how to use the flash in manual mode if it doesn't support i-TTL (I'm expecting any sub-$100 flash to not support many features.)

Hell, if I could find a flash for $50 or less that gave me a little more than the built-in one (and has the ability to act as a slave) that would be fine.

Thanks in advance!

bigfatbadger said:
... Older flashes like the SB24 can be picked up on ebay fairly cheap and are fairly good. I'm fairly sure it's alright with the D50, but you can't hold me responsible!!!!!!

Lol is there any resource that can tell you for sure which flashes are compatible? I imagine I'll be in this boat someday too as I'd like to have a flash but don't have a need for one that would justify big bucks.

Maybe I just have to do some reading and research. :confused:

rmh159 said:
Lol is there any resource that can tell you for sure which flashes are compatible? I imagine I'll be in this boat someday too as I'd like to have a flash but don't have a need for one that would justify big bucks.

Maybe I just have to do some reading and research. :confused:

I've been doing some searching and have yet to find some solid information. That's why I was hoping someone could simply point out some cheap flashes that would work.

Maybe I'll have to start visiting camera shops and asking. Although you have to be careful of the chains because often the people working there don't know what they're talking about.

AluminumStudios said:
... you have to be careful of the chains because often the people working there don't know what they're talking about.

Exactly. I'll definitely want a flash but if there's any chance of it ruining the camera I think I'd need to be pretty sure of the answer. If I find anything I'll make sure I post.

yes, I am also searching for that elusive chart which lists every flash across the top and every camera down the side and tells me whether they work or not. Alas, it doesn;t seem to exist.

I'm not writing it!

Read the D50 manual. I'm pretty sure it lists either the SB24 or SB25, maybe both, as compatible...but only in full manual mode.

I'd wait a little longer and save up for the SB600 myself though.

LWW

Right, it looks like any flash that is listed here:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

with a voltage of less than 12V is OK on a nikon DSLR. This is my reading into it, please inform me if I'm wrong and I will change this statement.

If you want proper TTL metering, you have to get a sb600, ,800, metz 76 MZ5 (£500) or a metz 45 CL4 (£300), Sigma EF500 DG Super (£160) Sigma EF500 DG st (£99.99).

I'd double check with a dealer on the sigma ones, Warehouse Express claims compatible with the D70 but doesn't mention the D50. This isn't an endorsement of any of the above flashes, just a list of those that are compatible. I'm sure there's more.

hope this helps
Jon

Most reactions

Back