What's new

Cheap yet strong tripod suggestions

Overread19

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
25,507
Reaction score
5,112
Location
UK - England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm after a good set of iron rods welded to a lump of iron - that should be fairly solid and pretty cheap right?

Ok jokes aside but I don't think my 055XPROB tripod legs and Junior Geared head are quite suited to holding the Mamiya fully stable, esp when I start adding extension tubes. I'll work with it for now because its all I've got, though I'd be interested to know if there are any older, solid legs brands/makes that would be more well suited to holding this kind of heavy setup; esp since it seems that older heavier legs tend to depreciate a lot second hand..

know this means that long with the tonne of a camera the legs will be a hefty weight as well, but I've simply not the budget to put toward a serious set of legs for this alone (though I've plans for a serious set of Gitzo legs but that focuses on being light weight whilst also supporting a long telephoto DSLR setup - might be well suited for the mamiya as well but with a much higher cost its a way down the purchase list).
 
I will have to double check when I go into my class this am, but i have an older Bogen' (now manfrotto) that should do the job. It holds my 4x5.

These should be cheap these days, used, and who cares it it is beat up a bit as long as it is stable and the legs move easily. Check the usual for used ones.
 
Here is that info

Bogen 3221 head, bogen 3047

I don't remember when I got it, but it was way over 25 years ago, still going strong.
 
I use a set of Manfrotto 190 legs with my 645AFD, granted not quite as big as your RZ, but still a fairly sold hunk of camera. I see them used for very reasonable prices. Something else that will be ROCK solid, albeit a little clumsy is a set of legs from a surveyor's transit. Five minutes in the workshop will allow you to fabricate an adaptor for any camera, and I've seen them for <$50 in second-hand stores.
 
Good point. There are plenty of surveyors tripods that would be fit the bill of being big & sturdy and not cost a fortune.

A couple months ago, I saw a couple (used) tripods in a surplus store. They were of the same size & style of an industrial/survey tripod, but I they had been used for photography of some type. They even included a foot pedal shutter release cable. I should have bought one, just for the novelty of it...but they were over $100.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #8
Derral - Camouflage Tripod Franz Bagyi Edition for 100 mm Leveling Unit from Berlebach ® Tripods - I love those legs - but darn the weight of them :(

I've been speaking to a few others and some feel that the 055 legs might be strong enough for the job, but that the bigger weakpoint is going to be the junior geared head. The problem being that the upgrade from that isn't strong enough either and the next level up from that for the Geared Head is running at £500odd (which is way more than I can invest in this - certainly at this stage). Some have suggested that a high-end ballhead would be suitable for the task (surprising to me).
However with that suggestion in mind would the Acratech GV2 head be suitable? It's a head I had my eye on for my regular setups as a do it all ballhead - or would using a ballhead (esp with tubes for macro) at this level, even a serious ball head, just be inviting too much creep chance?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom