Check out this lens!

crazy_dragonlady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure of the quality but I was completely shocked by the price. It just doesn't seem possible that a lens could be sold for that cheap. You sure can tell that it wasn't made by Canon! ;)

650-2600mm Lens

Never heard of the manufacturer either... anyone else?

ttfn
CDL.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I could be wrong but I think Phoenix Optical is an optics company in CA specializing in eye glasses, Seems odd that they would just jump to camera lenses but not out of the relm of possibility, But like I said I could be wrong on that.

It seems as though they have been at it for a wile and they seem to get fairly good reviews
Here is one on my mount

Wow that be a cool lens to have :) Though the price does seem pretty cheap realistically unless theres some damage?

But i found one site here that recommends that brand of lens on it

We recommend Phoenix lenses as a good independent maker. These quality, all-glass coated optics are Japanese - the mounts work smoothly - and they have a six-year warranty.

Then again since they sell them I gather they are going to put that in order to move them lol

I betcha the quality of the images aren't that great. Although, the brand is sold on adorama.com that particular lens isn't.

I've searched through google for the manuf. but can't seem to locate any type of website.

I've also read that the comparable lens made by Canon is around the $130,000 mark!! :shock: Plus they only make them on demand. So it's quite odd that a similar style lens would be under 300. Definitely makes you question the quality.

ttfn
CDL.

I betcha the quality of the images aren't that great. Although, the brand is sold on adorama.com that particular lens isn't.

I've searched through google for the manuf. but can't seem to locate any type of website.

I've also read that the comparable lens made by Canon is around the $130,000 mark!! :shock: Plus they only make them on demand. So it's quite odd that a similar style lens would be under 300. Definitely makes you question the quality.

ttfn
CDL.

I also can't find a verifyable website either. If it is the same optics company I thought they where the image quality may be fine, I would be more concerned with the mount and AF drive moters of them than image quality.

From what I've read this lens is a "universal" type lens. Meaning that they have mounts made for pretty much all the popular camera bodies out there. The way they're selling them on amazon is with a 2x teleconverter made specifically for the lens and depending on what brand of camera body you want to use it on it comes with the matching T-ring for that brand. I might just have to give it a try ;)

I copied and pasted the product description from Amazon.com:

amazon.com said:
Product Description
Kit includes: 1) Phoenix 650-1300mm f/8-16 Telephoto Lens; 2) Canon EOS (Autofocus) T Mount; 3) 2x Teleconverter; 4) Rear Lens Cap for Canon; >>> Phoenix 650-1300mm Telephoto Lens includes: Lens Hood; Lens Case with Strap; Front and Rear Caps; Instruction Manual; Phoenix USA Warranty >>> The powerful Phoenix 650-1300mm Super Telephoto Zoom Lens and matched 2x Teleconverter is an ultra powerful 650-2600mm combination that will allow you to capture images magnified up to 52 times that of a standard 50mm lens! Computer designed IF (Internal Focusing) optics, a convenient feature found typically only in high end lenses. With IF utilized, the length of the lens does not change and the front lens element does not rotate permitting more compact, lightweight construction! Aluminum alloy construction provides for a surprisingly lightweight and rugged design that includes a rotating tripod mount, for optimum balance and stability when mounted on a tripod or monopod. A focal length lock is also provided that can maintain your desired magnification. Multi-coated all glass optics and an integrated lens hood combine to maintain maximum contrast with reduced glare and reflections while the included fitted case further enhances the value of this ultra powerful zoom kit. This extremely powerful optical combination will reveal all the details and textures of distant subjects, offering the versatility needed for wildlife, sports, nature and surveillance photography.

ttfn
CDL

Besides the IQ, which is probably really poor, this lens is useless because of its maximum aperture: f/8 (it won't autofocus with most cameras if any). Once you add the 2x teleconverter, you loose 2 stops, bringing the maximum aperture down to f/16!!!!

Manual focusing is only thing holding me back - I can barely work manual on stationery target. Something flying (bird) - forget it :(

Phoenix also have a 500mm for $110 (B&H) which is soooo tempting - no wife permission required :thumbup:

After seeing price of Phoenix, going to be tougher to justify Canon 100-400 or Sigma's two new offerings in April.

How did photographers take picture of birds in flight before days of autofocus and IS? :confused:

" How did photographers take picture of birds in flight before days of autofocus and IS?"

With skill and a good tripod. My dad prefers manual focus all the time, even when in a hurry with his ancient 120-1200mm.

Note: My dad's lens isn't a zoom, its a variable focal length lens where you have to re-focus when you change the focal length. Zooms were extremely expensive in the 60's and were of poor quality.

i read a thing about those lenses a while back that said.

get a cardboard tube.. smash a coke bottle, put coke bottle over end of cardboard tube.
both will obtain similar results lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back