Checked out the Nifty Fifty today

From what I read, it will work with D40, as long as the user don't mind adjusting the focus manually. And the camera will tell the user when the focus is correctly set by the beep sound as well as the red light in the viewfinder. So... it is workable.

Mine was a green light on my D60, and it didn't make a *Beep* sound as far as I know.

The only time the 50mm is a pain in the butt to manually focus is if you're trying to catch action shots with it. Which is what I was trying for, so being able to autofocus that lens on my D300 is heavenly.

Yes, as far as I know, everything else works with it on the D40. You just have to manual focus. I want the nifty fifty really bad! I hope to get it around christmas time.

Fastest lightest lens you'll ever own! Wait till you sling your rig around with it,.. my 40D fits in a 'hoody' pocket or small pack with that little gem on. The fixed FOV really opened up the creativity for me. Get it already! :thumbup:

-Shea

50MM f/1.4?

Anyways, it's OK. The Canon version isn’t very good at focusing in dark conditions. It likes to hunt unless you’re using something to help it focus. That and it’s sharp, but you have to stop it down. I have one in my bag and it doesn’t come out a lot. It was neat when I got it, but unless I’m shooting something that the 70-200 is too long for or I absolutely need that extra sharpness, I don’t use it. Now after I get the 24-70 f/2.8, then it might not even be in my camera bag.

Mine was a green light on my D60, and it didn't make a *Beep* sound as far as I know.

The only time the 50mm is a pain in the butt to manually focus is if you're trying to catch action shots with it. Which is what I was trying for, so being able to autofocus that lens on my D300 is heavenly.

Cool ! Thanks for the clarification. Sorry .. I do not own a Nikon camera.... so :)

The Canon version of the Nifty Fifty, I can autofocus with it. But it is not a fast autofocus system. Therefore, sometimes I will miss the focus on action shots as well. But of course, it is better than manual focus. :wink:

50MM f/1.4?

Anyways, it's OK. The Canon version isn’t very good at focusing in dark conditions. It likes to hunt unless you’re using something to help it focus. That and it’s sharp, but you have to stop it down. I have one in my bag and it doesn’t come out a lot. It was neat when I got it, but unless I’m shooting something that the 70-200 is too long for or I absolutely need that extra sharpness, I don’t use it. Now after I get the 24-70 f/2.8, then it might not even be in my camera bag.

Yes, I agree. Low light will have a problem with the Nifty Fifty. And for portrait shots, I found that using the 70mm+ on a cropped body seem to have a better result. (Outdoor at least since I need to backup more)

you're welcome.:mrgreen:

I just don't want the other person expecting his/her D40 to beep to let him/her know that it's in focus. But, then again, the D40 COULD beep for all I know.:lol:

I have a ton of sharp photos I took by manually focusing the 50mm.
But that lens is an AFing speed demon on camera now.

There just isn't a better lens for that price. Hell, even if it were $100 or $200 more, it's totally worth it, imo.

Oh, jesus.
HIS D50.

There are just too many nifty fifty threads here lately, I cannot keep up with who posted what thread!:mrgreen:

not really sure what that is suppose to mean... but all the other nifty fifty threads are talking about how amazing it is, and posting pics.. i was merely making comment on he size of the lens.. its tiny

Because in the middle of the post before my last post, I was thinking of someone else who had inquired about the Nikon D40 (or was it D60?) and the nifty fifty.
I got the nifty fifty threads confused.

If you're not a guy, sorry I referred to you as one, but you have a D50, right?

i am a guy.. now I see what you meant...just wasnt reading it right, and yes i have a d50... it was me reading your post wrong... i thought you were slamming on my camera, but now I see you were clarifying that you were talking about a guy, not a girl, a mistake you put in the previous... my bad!

<-- was slamming on the camera.

:lol:

man, that is one small lens... i plan on getting one very soon, maybe even this week.. but today was the first time i went to my camera shop and they actually had it in stock... I was pretty shocked at how small the lens was... not much bigger than a silver dollar..

i just had a dream/nightmare where i recieved my 50mm and it WAS as small as a dollar. i used it and i was so unsatisfied with the results. then i started to realize it was a dream because i started to question its size....

the new Nikkor 50 1.4 AF-S is designed to bridge the manual focusing issue. . .should drop in Dec 2008, apparently better than the old gen 50 1.4 or 1.8. . ..($439). . .pre-selling at Adorama

Most reactions

New Topics

Back