Cheetah Morning

CarlosFrazao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys hope all is well, I haven't had time to go out in a long time but got to gou on on Saturday again and was lucky enough to find one of the cheetahs at our local reserve and her 3 cubs was where right by her side... I got a new nikon 200-500 lens on Friday and wasn't really to happy with it anything further than 3 meters was soft and a big buck on 20 meters I couldn't even see any facial features on it, plus it locked my camera up twice and gave me errors so it's getting replaced tomorrow, does anyone have any advice on it..
1) Portrait of Kiara
IMG_4242.JPG
2)cub laying in road after play
IMG_4246.JPG
3) the stare down
IMG_4247.JPG
4) mom looking after the cubs
IMG_4250.JPG
5) everyone looking at me
IMG_4252.JPG
6) time for some play
IMG_4253.JPG

Once again any CC welcome

LOVE the photos!!! If you don't mind me asking what settings did you used? Aperture and such?

Shawna

LOVE the photos!!! If you don't mind me asking what settings did you used? Aperture and such?

Shawna

Hi thank you very much, the light was really crappy and hazey this was 6:30 the morning. Setting where all at F5.6 and between 1/125 and 1/500, first one ISO is 100 and the others vary. Hope it helps

It does Thank You

These are such magnificent creatures. Got the opportunity to see one run full speed during a traing exercise. The beauty of the cat in motion and the speed is just unreal.

I would love to see some tiger's out there.

Sounds like you got a bad lens. Mine is very sharp over the whole range; not 500mm prime sharp, but more than acceptably sharp for a budget-priced super tele-zoom. Can't wait to see some shots when you get the new one.

Nice shots mate. Looking to 'come home' by the end of April, would love to go and shoot with you at Rietvlei if you have time. Drop me a pm and we could exchange cell numbers.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a bad lens. Mine is very sharp over the whole range; not 500mm prime sharp, but more than acceptably sharp for a budget-priced super tele-zoom. Can't wait to see some shots when you get the new one.

i truly do hope that it was a bad lens and that they not all like that cause I'm not gonna be very happy as i moved up from the sigma contemporary and everything was worse except for the VR so i do hope the new one will be much better.. how far would you be able take a shot from a subject and still find it sharp?

Nice shots mate. Looking to 'come home' by the end of April, would love to go and shoot with you at Rietvlei if you have time. Drop me a pm and we could exchange cell numbers.

thanks bud, "come home" ill rather stay where you are lol than come back here haha... yeah send me your dates and then we can definitely make a plan to go. i will be going to pilanesberg from the 27april to 2nd may i think for our anniversary but we can make a plan any other time hopefully..

Very nice set
thanks bud
Very nice set!
thanks man appreciate

Very nice, considering :)

Stop down and raise your iso/shutter speed.

You will see better results....

Cheers, Don

Yeah I would have done that but the light was so aweful and this was just after sunrise and very hazy that I didn't want to stop down plus I now a F5.6 lens so needed to test it aswell as I've seen some amazing results from it unfortunately I wasn't that lucky

Yeah I would have done that but the light was so aweful and this was just after sunrise and very hazy that I didn't want to stop down plus I now a F5.6 lens so needed to test it aswell as I've seen some amazing results from it unfortunately I wasn't that lucky

In low light, I regularly push my D7200's iso to 2000 for a slightly faster shutter speed with very little noise clean up...

There is no luck involved, just good long lens technique :)

Cheers, Don

Lovely set, I love these shots and the colour tone. Personally I would try f8 with Auto ISO so you can aim for a much higher shutter speed. If your body is a crop sensor then you will need a accommodate for that. Even with the VR I would of gone much higher than 1/500 for the sake of increasing the ISO from 100 up to 400. What I've found with my tele lens is it's about finding the right ratio of exposure settings to get sharp shots whether you are 2 metres away or 10.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back