Child portrait Critque.

smurf4t

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all

I'm Tanja , i'm new to photography. But not a beginner. Just looking for some advice and critique of my latest pictures of my friends kids. I love child photography and am looking to enhance my skill.

Thank you.

$image-20758254.jpg

$image-2382818934.jpg

im really new to photography but heres what i thought right off the bat. When enlarging the photos, they both looked on the soft side. the faces are not fully focused. What was your shutter speed? Aperature? Also imo i feel the pictures are a tad warm. goo

Critique per req:

1. As mentioned, the image is very soft; I can't say for sure without the EXIF data, but because I can't see anything sharp, I'm going to assume motion-blur (shutter-speed too low). The lighting is acceptable, but rather bland; a little more contrast would have helped greatly, and the composition needs to be opened up a little more. It's fine to crop limbs when necessary, but always do it boldly, never at/near/through a joint and NEVER along a lateral axis! The eyes appear rather over-processed.

2. Comments pretty much as per #1; watch the disembodied arm lower RH corner (again, composition/crop too tight), and watch the background elements. The bit of red (chair back?) and the two-tone wall behind are bother rather distracting.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Hi all

I'm Tanja , i'm new to photography. But not a beginner. Just looking for some advice and critique of my latest pictures of my friends kids. I love child photography and am looking to enhance my skill.

Thank you.

Can you please explain how you are NEW to photography, but not a beginner? I am curious!

On the images.. darling girls... but all the critique above it 100% totally correct! Very soft..

All I would add is my opinion that the camera position was to high in both shots, both images look to be under exposed, and have white balance issues. It looks like there may have been some incandescent lighting nearby that gave each photo a yellowish color cast.

I think the color saturation has been pushed beyond realistic.

Designer said:

Agreed! Tone down the eyes right?

cgipson1 said:
Can you please explain how you are NEW to photography, but not a beginner? I am curious!

On the images.. darling girls... but all the critique above it 100% totally correct! Very soft..

New as have not been doing this full on for a long time compared to professionals, I have most basics covered but not all, so I'm definately on the fence... Still trying to improve as a don't think i'm good enough to be classified as a pro yet.

The images where taken with out a tripod as it was at a kids party , I should have taken my speedlite with to help. I always feel like I'm blasting people with that some how? Any tips on working with kids and a huge Megga flash? I don't like blinding people.

These images where taken with a 60d canon, and a canon 50mm 1.8 lens.

They where definately really browny yellow before I corrected them, but from everyone's comments not corrected enough or to much ?

I was using Lr to edit them and haven't totally made friends with it yet hence the red chair stayed and the 2 tone colour in the background , I see now I should readjust these as those are totally distracting. But I guess I'll have to go back to elements to do that.

Cutting the arms, am I correct in assuming I should have just cut them right out rather than leave them sticking out the bottom ?

Thanks all

KmH said:
All I would add is my opinion that the camera position was to high in both shots, both images look to be under exposed, and have white balance issues. It looks like there may have been some incandescent lighting nearby that gave each photo a yellowish color cast.

How would I correct white balance using Lr or elements

tirediron said:
Critique per req:

1. As mentioned, the image is very soft; I can't say for sure without the EXIF data, but because I can't see anything sharp, I'm going to assume motion-blur (shutter-speed too low). The lighting is acceptable, but rather bland; a little more contrast would have helped greatly, and the composition needs to be opened up a little more. It's fine to crop limbs when necessary, but always do it boldly, never at/near/through a joint and NEVER along a lateral axis! The eyes appear rather over-processed.

2. Comments pretty much as per #1; watch the disembodied arm lower RH corner (again, composition/crop too tight), and watch the background elements. The bit of red (chair back?) and the two-tone wall behind are bother rather distracting.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Definately motion blur as was hand held no tripod. It was a kids party, would a speedlite have helped me a bit?

post the exif data for the shots....

Can you please explain how you are NEW to photography, but not a beginner?

^^^ This...

And this:

All I would add is my opinion that the camera position was to high in both shots, both images look to be under exposed, and have white balance issues.

Designer said:

Agreed! Tone down the eyes right?

Some might think this is simply a matter of personal taste, and perhaps I am too "old school" for your style of processing, but IMO when colors don't seem real, then I begin to wonder what else is not real. It is not only the eye color, but in the first picture it appears that the little girl is using lipstick, albeit applied with faultless skill by a professional makeup artist. I think I understand that you wanted the face paint to truly stand out, but what we know as natural color is essentially ruined.

So if you're going for a fun-filled child's birthday party, don't spoil the effect by over-processing.

That and the other comments regarding focus and composition.

Most reactions

Back