Child portrait

Skor35

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a quick 15-minute photoshoot and this is my favorite image from them all. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170802-FORUM.jpg
    20170802-FORUM.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 122
Absolutely priceless expression!!!

Thats a great portrait!

Perhaps a little more DoF for the hair? What was the aperture?

Thank you, everyone. I will admit I have a habit of leaving some head room in my photos, maybe it is just my style, I will work on leaving less, thank you, Designer.
OGsPhotography - Aperture was f/2.8, I really wanted the blur, prob could have gotten away with f/4. Thanks for the tip :)

a very nice shot, although I agree about needing more DOF. (its a personal preference of mine)

the common misconception is that you need a large aperture to render the background blurred. the truth is that depth of field is just that, a "field" of focus that you can acutally position your subject in. for instance, you can use a smaller aperture, say f4 or f5.6 and simply stand farther away from the subject (if possible of course) you can place the subject in the back portion of the field which will render more of the foreground in focus, and simply crop out the foreground. this will make your entire subject in focus while leaving the background blurred. alternatively, you might have had enough DOF to have gotten the kids head in focus by simply moving forward a little more and pushing the field of focus back some.

plenty of DOF calculators online and as apps for your phone that will show you the DOF when given focal length and aperture.

as for the shot itself, the lighting is good, focus is good, and the pose is good.
a keeper for sure.

I agree with all of the above comments. @pixmedic excellent explanation. BTW, the baby's expression is priceless!

Most reactions

Back