Children Christmas photo shoot

well actually i have microsoft digital image pro and now that i look at these photos, i think these are the edited ones since i couldn't get my editor to do much with them.
also, i like posting my unedited because then it helps me better edit them and then take better photos the next time.
I posted this in another one of your threads and I think you will get the best feed back by posting your edited photos that way the pros can give better feed back. Its okay to want to share your unedited photos but maybe that would be better suited in the people and pets forum and not in the pro forum.

I am a stay at home Mom. There are cute nooks EVERYWHERE you really just have to find them. I just recently found one here in SD where there is wonderful landscape but not allot of wonderful outdoor area's as far as trees and foliage in their natural state go. You should scout for spots and you should practice on your children until you are blue in the face, read and play with your camera.
I think emogirl put it perfectly and very kindly.
Recognize your weaknesses and learn to over come them. There cannot be an excuse for every situation some times we ruin photos threw no other fault of our own. Trust me I have been there!

i am a mother.
i a stay at home mom.
i love photography. that has always been my passion and yes, i may not be a pro at it but i want to get better so i am not being something i am not.
what i am not is a mean person. what i am not is person who sits at a desk or behind a counter all day.
if you have ever lived in texas you will know it is hard to work outdoors as you are never sure what the weather will do and a lot of dallas is hard to photograph in as there are a lot of highways, buildings or neighborhoods...i dont live in the country to find a "cute nook" to take photos in
Teresa I am a mom too and I know that there are TONS of pro photos in Dallas. You dont need the cute nooks to get the great shot you just need to find nooks in your surroundings. I recently read a post in another forum I am on from a really good pro photo who said all you need is it find pockets of 8 by 8 ft of space. It could be in front of KFC but if you use the right DOF you can still get a great shot. Its these pockets of outdoor space is what you should start training your eye to look for.

I agree with Bella. There are some amazing structure in Dallas. You could have some WONDERFUL urben shoot opportunities.

i will third what sweetsomedays & bella said....i am a stay at home mom...and my business was part time for many years and now it is overtime....you have to find the areas to take the shots, they are all around you..my gosh, you have wonderful weather all year...i'm in a foot of snow right now and -20...and i did an outdoor shoot today, numb fingers and all... there are great places for pictures everywhere..open your eyes and stop making excuses, take the advice we have given you!!!

I know you dont have great weather year around but i know dallas has one of the largest saturations of pro photogs in one place. You just gotta learn to use what you have. It will take time but I know you can do it if you set your mind to it.

Even if its snowing outside you can still make that work. Snow and cold is not a bad thing and can make for some great winter photos. Try it and show us what you got.

ya, ..i know you dont have perfect weather year round, i was referring to the warmth/grass/trees/ you do have year round which does make things alot easier...we have a 'season' for pictures here...the bulk of my money shooting weddings/family pics is made in the spring summer fall...about 6 months of the year... you can go anywhere and shoot any time of the year....and all you seem to want to do is hang up a cheesy sheet and fake tree and blanket on the floor...that is what is really detracting from your work. That is what everyone is trying to tell you...get out and use some natural light....you have a fabulous area to shoot in.

how can i get someone to do a location shoot (which obviously i am much better at) when they dont want a location shoot? do i tell them "sorry, i am a on location photographer and if you dont want to shoot on location, go find another photographer?"
and actually 4 of my backdrops are real backdrops..not dinky sheets.
the black is a real back drop and i have 2 "tie dye" looking ones that are real.
this next thing may sound like an excuse but it is not meant to be.
i live in the HEART of dallas, right about 10 min from downtown. i dont have a lot near me to shoot "location" shoots where it isn't highway or private property (found great spots but it is owned and private property and i dont feel like getting shot). also, i have a 16 month old and i am a stay at home mom and he isn't in day care and it is hard to just put him in the car and drive (without listening to him scream bloody murder) until we find a perfect spot to shoot.
i like the old rustic looks...like barns, wagon wheels, praries....can't find any around here that arent' private property
i did my lil sis' senior photos and i had to use a brick wall next to a park bathroom (talk about terrible stench and wishing time would fly by)

yes....tell them you are a location photographer....do what works for you!! I get calls everyday for 'studio' work....i say no, i dont do that...i dont do formal portraits and i refer them to other photographers....they appreciate it...i'm not going to do something i'm not good at, it just looks bad on me in the end...do i worry i just sent away potential business...no, i coudlnt accomodate them....

ok, you are in the heart of downtown and you have a baby....do you take your baby to your studio shoots? you cant be professional taking your child...you have to set soemthing up, find a way to make it work...i do engagement shoots in alleys...they are awesome, people love them! but they are modern/trendy and dont suit everyone....do you have a park nearby? ok, maybe you have to drive 1/2 hr....then drive...put that into your price....

SCout locations that will work for you and meet your clients there! I keep a list of places that work good at certain times of day/seasons/weather conditions so I can last minute change plans if things dont work...i dont go driving aroudn with my client wondering if this will be good...i've planned ahead and i find what is good!

there is alot to consider being a "pro".....

yes i have to take my child to my shoots. sometimes he is entertainment to the subject and it makes them feel more comfortable and others i am sure they would like to ring his neck as much as i would! *i wouldn't really do that*
my husband used to work evenings 7pm to 7am and now he works 4am to 7pm and so i have no one to watch my son during the photo shoots.
most of the people i shoot for have known me for years so they dont care if i bring my son..they have kids his age or have someone at their home to watch him while i do the shoots.
i didnt bring him to one shoot and i got a "uh, no fair, you didnt bring aidan?" (my son) but i was like "i am a sorry, would you like a tantrum throwing 1 yr old to be here while i am trying to do my job?"
i will not shoot in my neighborhood...if i did that most the photos would include people getting mugged, raped, shot and killed or have drug dealers in the photos...i have to go about 45 minutes out of the way and north to find some "okay" locations

teresa

i have read all your posts and been very supportive of you cause i know what this forums like!!!!!!!!!
but i have to say you do seem to put an awful lot of obsticles in the way of taking pics.

i take pics anywhere walking to the shops in the park in the car park on the roads

anywhere

Most reactions

New Topics

Back