Children Christmas photo shoot

Excuses, excuses, excuses! I drive 40 minutes MANY days of the week to a spot where I know it will be beautiful. It's worth it because the photos turn out great there.
I also live near downtown and I agree with previous posters that even the most decrepit surroundings can make for beautiful photographs (as long as you have the right light!).

And I live in Colorado where the locals joke that if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes because it can be a full on blizzard one day and the next be 70 degrees outside! But, I still manage to do a ton of on-location photography. In fact, I prefer it. If it just absolutely won't work, we just reschedule.

And, I know this is off-topic, but Teresa, and jols, you guys are ridiculous about childcare. You claim to always put your children first, but I detect much bitterness about ALWAYS having to care for your children and having no help which can't be healthy for your children. I don't have children of my own, but I babysit for MANY children in other families and I treat them how I would if they were own children. I give them a lot of love and I never feel as though a parent is "dumping" their child on me. Parents need their own time and it's not being a bad parent to find someone who is trust-worthy to care for your child for a couple of hours while you do a photoshoot. It gives your children more chances to socialize outside of the family as well.

Your clients now may not care if you bring your child, but as you start working with people who do not know you, they will definitely find it extremely unprofessional to bring your child. If you're child needs your attention for any part of their session, they will feel cheated.

What an incredibly whiny set of posts. I may read these threads for humor but I would never spend any time responding to Theresa's or Jols' posts because of their spiteful, unprofessional attitude.

They should both be banned.

teresa - at the risk of sounding harsh - pushing a button on a camera does not make you a photographer... Your not at the level to even post your work and ask for comments... Im not even sure your a real person... you might be someone elses profile here just to irratate...

My suggestion: Sell all of your back drops and your "mobile studio" and buy some books.

But please stop posting these Hideous photos.

teresa - at the risk of sounding harsh - pushing a button on a camera does not make you a photographer... Your not at the level to even post your work and ask for comments... Im not even sure your a real person... you might be someone elses profile here just to irratate...

My suggestion: Sell all of your back drops and your "mobile studio" and buy some books.

But please stop posting these Hideous photos.

Somehow this post makes me feel like a virgin.
:lmao::lmao:

Wow. Two pages huh? Okay I don't usually like to get involved with these type of things but a few red flags went up when i read your reasons for why you can't try this or that.
On one hand you say that you put your family absolutley first no matter what so much so that you don't even believe in a babysitter. On the other you let those same children live in an area where simply having a photo shoot in your neighborhood would include rape and shootings. hmmmmm........
I think that what everyone is trying to say is that you don't want to (or shouldn't want to) have people pay you for something that you haven't got down the basics of yet. KWIM? I'm not trying to be mean when i say this, I'm really not. Look at past cc I always try to remain positive and upbeat but this thread is totally full of a lot of rationalizations of why it's okay to let these be your best.
Keep trying and reading and practicing and reading and reading some more. You'll get it over time but in the meantime I wouldn't try to think of excuse after excuse why you can't strive for better - because even the best of the best still keep trying to be better. KWIM?

im with teresa on this one if you have kids they must always come first. ALWAYS

THIS COMMENT IS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!!!!! Yes, Im late at reading this thread, but couldn't resist. Only a few days ago I was told that no matter what I should basically please the client.....even when I have school parties with my kids....one is sick etc.! Way off base, but I couldnt resist.

The pics do need some work, but you will get there if you really want to! Practice, practice, practice......trust me it will pay off! I take pics of my kids and surroundings a lot. Not always to get a great picture, but to play with my camera settings etc.

i'm sory if i upset people in the fact that i or my husband look after my child all the time but thats me i suppose.

if i have shoots to do my husband looks after him thats just the way we do it and what i feel comfotable with.

again i'm sorry if i offend anyone

and wish you all a happy new year.

the funny thing about this thread is that i cannot read about half the posts in here ... ignore lists are great :)

i'm sory if i upset people in the fact that i or my husband look after my child all the time but thats me i suppose.

if i have shoots to do my husband looks after him thats just the way we do it and what i feel comfotable with.

again i'm sorry if i offend anyone

and wish you all a happy new year.

Actually, I think that no-one gives a flying crapdoodle about how you take care of your kids - this is about photography and using your maternal habits as reasons or excuses for bad photography is inappropriate. I have a bad back and my wife is a semi-invalid. Should that be an excuse for the inadequacies of my pictures? - No.

I think what people are responding to is your need to portray yourself as a picked-upon woman victim who sacrifices her art for love of her children.

Grow up, take better pictures and shut the hell up about your self-scarifice.

Oh, and happy new year.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i think your confusing me with someone who cares.

obviously people do care what i said cause they would not have replied and you felt the need to tell me about your pesonal life to justify what you said.

i have not posted a pic on here for ages as im too busy selling them.

i dont sacrafice 'my art' ha ha and im not picked upon lol

i do what i feel i need to do regarding he way my life is

Ok, I live in Dallas, and DO NOT have an indoor studio.
I shoot every weekend on some location or another. Almost all of the time, outdoors.
Teresa, just keep trying. Play with impromptu lighting (lamps, sheets, sunlight etc).
Shoot lots and lots and you will improve.
While these photos are not what I believe is to the "pro" point yet, I certainly don't think that they are at all hideous.
Please keep posting. :)
Merry Christmas too!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back