Children Christmas photo shoot

I have two children and I swap with my friends and neighbors. My husband is in the military and is away on a training mission right now but I refuse to take my children. I make sure people know I need 2 weeks advance notice so I can schedule care for my children. We are preparing for our upcoming deployment and he will be gone for 6 months but I am not going to be taking either of my children with me ever. First off a can't focus, and I really do think it appears unprofessional.
Where there is a will there's a way.

BTW: My daughter is 8 months and nursing and refuses a bottle, I plan my sessions in between her feedings for 2-3 hrs(she eats some jared foods). As others have said before you have to find a way around things.

i suppose there is if you dont mind dumping your kids for other people to look after

Dumping? Excuse me....are you serious?
I seriously resent that because I dedicate my life to my family. When I am not with them they are with people who know and love them with other children their age to play with.
I do not DUMP my children on anyway. I put allot of thought into the care they get when I am away from them.

i have a 12 yr old step son who in both my eyes and his dads is not worthy enough to even stay home by himself. we have to get a babysitter for him as well.
all our neighbors are either drug dealers/makers, gang members or old people who have better things to do than watch some baby.
i can't say i can't ever focus with my son there but he helps me relax sometimes and others i just ignore him. as a parent you learn to tune things out at times.

yes i do mean dumping.
either my husband or i look after our child he is 6 i work and so does my husband and nobody looks after him but us.

he is our responsibility nobody elses.

we live our life around him.

but i do feel this is diverting from the thread

So what would your option be if your husband had to be in Iraq for half a year. Not shoot? Then thats your decision, not mine. I live my life around my children and I deserve a bit of my own life from time to time.
Teresa talks about drug dealers, rapists and murderes and come up with every reason in the book why there are technical errors in her photos and that doesn't detract from the thread?

Ok....welcome to OZ.

A note to all, last time I checked, this was a photography forum. Whatever issues are going on here, please take them somewhere else.

"i will not shoot in my neighborhood...if i did that most the photos would include people getting mugged, raped, shot and killed or have drug dealers in the photos...i have to go about 45 minutes out of the way and north to find some "okay" locations"

Absolutely and a few "urban" shoots may actually enhance your portfolio. You'd be surprised at the photos that you'd get in a crappy environment. I love those. Hell, I would have to drive to get them! I saw a trash the dress session done on a crappy step in a crappy abandoned building...the photog had vision. It was great. I can't wait until I can SEE like that. Or maybe find a model.

So what would your option be if your husband had to be in Iraq for half a year. Not shoot? Then thats your decision, not mine. I live my life around my children and I deserve a bit of my own life from time to time.
Teresa talks about drug dealers, rapists and murderes and come up with every reason in the book why there are technical errors in her photos and that doesn't detract from the thread?

Ok....welcome to OZ.

I wish I knew what "a bit of my own life" was. I never get time to myself. Never have I ever gotten time alone for just myself since my son was born and if the people I am shooting for dont mind him being there at a shoot or have someone his age to play with or someone to distract him while I am there, then I dont mind either

im with teresa on this one if you have kids they must always come first. ALWAYS

yes, i just had that bride from hell tell me that my family shouldn't come first when i planned a vacation around her shoots or that she kept trying to call but my son has been in and out of doctors and i am sorry, that is more important than answering a damn phone call from a client...FAMILY ALWAYS COMES FIRST

I have a 10 month old and i have brought her on my shoots. But that said she is a quiet baby who I can put on my back or in a stroller. I also have older kids and my 9yr will stay close by but keep her sisters entertained. Now if I had a wedding shoot or something that required more attention then I would go out of my way to not bring my kids with me. The kind of session and the client really helps dictate whether or not I can bring my kids along.

I just thought I'd point out that:

"You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, you'd better watch out... I'm telling you why... Santa Clause is coming to town... Santa Clause is coming to town... Santa Clause is coming to town!"

Now that I've broken the tension. I have been asked to shoot a wedding in Ohio in June of next year. It's 600 miles away from home. I am taking a vacation with my family so that we can go there and I am having my B&G finance the trip. Where there's a will... there's a way to make anything happen.

Oh... and my daughters and wife are ALL second, third and fourth shooters of fluffers or gofers.

Most reactions

Back