Choose first DSLR camera

ksmalah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!
I'm going to buy a DSLR camera, but as I'm beginner I don't know which one is better.
I looked through canon 1100d, 500d, 550d. Owner of each model thinks that his one is the best. Could you give me some advice which one to choose and why?

Thanks for help! :D

550d is the newest in the series out of those options so it is probably that one. Its also more expensive and i'd say price is a pretty good indicator of which camera is "best". No, I know that the 550d has the better specs.

Edit: ok the one is newer. The 550d has really good video

Last edited:
The 1100D is actually newer, came out earlier this year. You can read specs and megapixels etc but may not tell full story. By all accounts the 1100d is great for the price, with similar metering system to the 550d. Its 12mp vs the 550d 18mp, but honestly you can print massive with 12mp. The 550d has slightly better build and extra metering mode with specs a step up from the 1100d.
I would only recommend the 500d if you get it for substantially lower price than the 550d.
If I had the money i would go for the 550d over the 1100d, but if you get either with the kit lens try and ensure you get the IS lens as its supposedly overall better than the non-image stabilized one.
As a recent DSLR buyer I would imagine that you will be happy with any of the above 3 cameras as they open up a load of options you probably don't have now.

Most reactions

Back