choosing a camera

terror.hawk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Id like to buy a DSLR and I already have two in mind but I was was wondering if i could have the forum community's opinion on theses two based on personal experience.

I have already taken two photography classes and while discussing the digital class with my professor he recommended the Nikon D2h.

while looking up the camera i noticed that the D200 was very similar

i was wondering what you guys thought about the two and if anyone has had experience with both of them.

Depending on the budget, I would go for the D300. The D2h is a high-speed, [comparitively] low-resolution professional body. It's meant for sport-shooting and other applications where high-speed is essential. It's also built like a tank. The D200 is a high-end prosumer body, which is well built, but lacks some of the high-end features such as the voice recorder, and view-finder shutter, is an excellent camera overall. The D300 is the replacement for the D200, and is, IMO, far superior to either of the two bodies you have listed. Higher resolution, much better high ISO performance, solidly built....

D300 if you can afford it, but it costs about twice as much as a D200.

D200 is a great bargain these days, they can be found gently used for about $750--at least that's what I just sold one for.

If you're on a tighter budget I'd recommend a D70, but keep in mind that nikon's cheaper cameras won't meter with older non-cpu lenses, which can limit some of your options on the used lens market.

Stay away from the d2h, it's a lesser camera then the d200 for about the same $$, the d2x is a great camera, but it costs about as much as a d300 which is superior in nearly every way.

Thanks alot. I think ill just save up more for the D200 since I am on a budget and for right now I just want this to be a hobby of mine albeit an expensive one. As far as the D2X im not sure if i understand it correctly but is it somewhat on par with the D300 or D200?

Most reactions

Back