Choosing a monitor for photo editing?

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Question for you folks.

I'm wondering if I should be shopping for a new monitor for PC or color calibration equipment. I'm noticing that I get my photos looking exactly how I want them on my monitor, but I don't always love the way they look in print form or on other screen.

My monitor is a 27" 2560x1440 ASUS gaming monitor. I forget the exact model number.

Are there specific monitors people gravitate toward for photo editing, or is it more about getting colors calibrated correctly on whichever monitor you happen to be using?

I wish we could edit posts. So. Many. Typos. :(

Generally IPS monitors that can display either 100% of sRGB or adobe RGB are best. I have an Asus proart 24" that does a great job and didn't break the bank.

Oh, and get a calibration device. Some monitors (like mine) claim to arrive calibrated "out of the box", but I immediately calibrated it and the colors were definitely off. Plus you need to adjust depending on your room's ambient light.

I wish we could edit posts. So. Many. Typos. :(
Uh. We can edit our posts.
On the left end of the gray bar at the bottom of a post click on EDIT.

Adobe minimum system requirements

Is your display the ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD?
I don't see where ASUS states what display or back light technologies - IPS, PVA, TN - that display has.

If it is you come up short on color bit depth having only an 8-bit color depth (16.7 million colors). 8 bits can only code 256 colors and there are 3 color channels - RGB (Red, Green, Blue).
256 x 256 x 256 = 16.7 million.
10 bits can display 1024 colors per color channel.
1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1.07 trillion colors.

You would do better with a 10 bit display, though a 16-bit display is best and the minimum required by Photoshop.

Last edited:
I'm noticing that I get my photos looking exactly how I want them on my monitor, but I don't always love the way they look in print form or on other screen.

To get prints looking the same as monitors you need to use a calibrated monitor and printer. I highly recommend calibrating your monitor.

And you will never be able to get your photos to look the same on all other monitors.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks everyone!!! I love this place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back