Choosing a theme for our local Art Walk

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for opinions - I am participating in our town's Art Walk in a couple of weeks. I need to have 5-8 photos for display in the window of a local shop. I've participated in this twice before - the first time I used a group of photos that I had taken of a sunflower field in bloom - various close ups and panos. Last time I printed some of my more "arty" abstract flower photos. This year I have a couple of different ideas. Would love to hear your thoughts on this, especially if you have participated in something like this or attend these type of local art displays.

1 - astro photos including some with the comet, some with milky way and a few of the recent ones I took of the lighthouse at night.

ex
the comet! by SharonCat..., on Flickr

2 - photos from the mountains including the lupine fields, lake with smoke and some sunset panos

ex
Somewhere in NH... by SharonCat..., on Flickr

3 - photos of local spots - our local pond at sunset, an overhead view of the church with foliage in the fall, photos from the local woods with waterfalls and lakes with reflections

ex
Lake pano at sunset by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Leaning toward the astro stuff but maybe that's just because that is what I have been focusing on lately. I could also forego a theme and just pick 1-2 of the best ones from each of these ideas.

These are not really "sale" type of shows. Although a sale or two would not be unheard of, it's not really a great set up for that. There is an indoor art festival in April that is more about selling. Hopefully that doesn't get canceled again. Thanks in advance for any input.

I think I’d lean Astro as well, for the simple fact that most people outside of the photography community are still very impressed by it. It’s something that they absolutely can’t capture with their phone, and so it’s still illusive and mysterious to them more than most other forms of photography.

I generally find that I get stronger reactions and more attention from laypeople with astro work than with my other landscape stuff.

I also think that your astro work as really developed nicely over the past several years, and you’re at a spot where you have a solid body of work to showcase.

I think I’d lean Astro as well, for the simple fact that most people outside of the photography community are still very impressed by it. It’s something that they absolutely can’t capture with their phone, and so it’s still illusive and mysterious to them more than most other forms of photography.

I generally find that I get stronger reactions and more attention from laypeople with astro work than with my other landscape stuff.

I also think that your astro work as really developed nicely over the past several years, and you’re at a spot where you have a solid body of work to showcase.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback - that is sort of what I was thinking as well as far as non photographers being much more amazed by astro.

It seems like longer but it is really almost one year ago that I took my very first (very bad) astro photo lol.

I'd agree with the astro theme. Even though I've been doing photography since the 80's I've never done astro shots. I find many intriguing and mystical. To the layman, they must appear so different and outside the box. Due to the preparation and techniques employed as inferred, astro photographs are normally beyond that which are generally taken on fones or by the casual photographer.

You have shown some very nice astro work here so I would definitely include that. I'm wondering though if 5-8 all astro photos is too much. You have other nice work to show too. The photos you have shown here as examples were all taken around water. Maybe you could use something like that as a theme, show your best astro photos and a few others for variety.

Just a thought from someone who is definitely not an art expert.

PS: Let me know when it is. I may come by and say hello.

I'd agree with the astro theme. Even though I've been doing photography since the 80's I've never done astro shots. I find many intriguing and mystical. To the layman, they must appear so different and outside the box. Due to the preparation and techniques employed as inferred, astro photographs are normally beyond that which are generally taken on fones or by the casual photographer.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

You have shown some very nice astro work here so I would definitely include that. I'm wondering though if 5-8 all astro photos is too much. You have other nice work to show too. The photos you have shown here as examples were all taken around water. Maybe you could use something like that as a theme, show your best astro photos and a few others for variety.

Just a thought from someone who is definitely not an art expert.

Definitely food for thought. I really like the photo I used as example #2 and already have it printed on acrylic.

PS: Let me know when it is. I may come by and say hello.

There’s no one set date/time. The artwork is on display in most businesses in downtown Melrose from 10/2 - 10/19. Although one year they had a set night for “meet the artist’ and people were on scene to talk about their art.

Haven’t heard yet which store for my stuff but will let you know. Previously I’ve had displays in the windows of the Mexican restaurant and last year the storefront of a realtor. As long as it’s on Main St I guess I don’t really care which business I get although a store would be nice since their windows are set up better for displaying.

How about doing a color theme and then titling your series (your town in blue) or whatever. that way you can include different scenery that all flows together?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Another vote for the astro work. The comet itself is a recent phenomenon, and people will immediately identify it. Aside from those, your other astro work is lovely, too. You'd have a great lineup to choose from.

I remember the lupine series, and that would be my second choice.

Also, Paige has a neat idea up there you might consider.

In case you haven't noticed, you're looking at an impressive body of work to choose from. ;) Congrats!

Thanks I appreciate the feedback - that is sort of what I was thinking as well as far as non photographers being much more amazed by astro.

It seems like longer but it is really almost one year ago that I took my very first (very bad) astro photo lol.

Everyone’s first astro photo is bad I think. Definitely feels like you’ve been shooting astro longer than that!

Everyone’s first astro photo is bad I think. Definitely feels like you’ve been shooting astro longer than that!

September 21, 2019
Good Harbor Milky Way by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Your astro photography has taken off this year. It will be hard to pick just a few of your astro photos.

Most reactions

Back