Milky Way with lupines and fireflies

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Our 2nd stop on last weekend’s Milky Way chase was the lake where I posted the “smoke on the water” photos from last week. It was a perfect line up for the MW over that tall tree and the lake. Unfortunately, due to the amount of time we spent on the firefly distraction, which was in the other direction, some clouds started to creep in. The first shot I took was the best and then it got worse from there. This 2nd shot I’m posting only because it’s got lupines and fireflies and MW but it’s definitely not that great. I wish I could have gotten all 3 elements into one good photo.

Milky way lupines by SharonCat..., on Flickr

17CDF6E3-E48D-44FE-B1C8-367F386AE41D.jpeg

Our 2nd stop on last weekend’s Milky Way chase was the lake where I posted the “smoke on the water” photos from last week. It was a perfect line up for the MW over that tall tree and the lake. Unfortunately, due to the amount of time we spent on the firefly distraction, which was in the other direction, some clouds started to creep in. The first shot I took was the best and then it got worse from there. This 2nd shot I’m posting only because it’s got lupines and fireflies and MW but it’s definitely not that great. I wish I could have gotten all 3 elements into one good photo.

View attachment 193487
Beautiful image!

That first shot is great!

Wonderful!

View attachment 193487
Beautiful image!

Humble thanks to all! I really appreciate the support and encouragement on this forum - especially those who always take the time to comment.

Even with the clouds it is a very nice shot. I like the first as you can really see the lupines and their colors closely compliment the sky.

Even with the clouds it is a very nice shot. I like the first as you can really see the lupines and their colors closely compliment the sky.

Thanks! I try to keep the skies blue but my passion for purple usually wins the battle lol.

You are lucky to have that kind of scenery. Nice photo. =]

So jealous. Very nice. I'm gonna have to fly out to Hot Springs (highest airport East of Mississippi) this winter and join the "Milky Way Club". These shots are always so inspiring and most people have no idea what is just overhead.

So jealous. Very nice. I'm gonna have to fly out to Hot Springs (highest airport East of Mississippi) this winter and join the "Milky Way Club". These shots are always so inspiring and most people have no idea what is just overhead.

Ive seen a lot of nice MW photos from the Outer Banks. Is that far from you? Maybe you should plan a long weekend at the beach with the wife.

Ive seen a lot of nice MW photos from the Outer Banks. Is that far from you? Maybe you should plan a long weekend at the beach with the wife.

The beaches on the Delmarva are an hour in the airplane as is Hot Springs. I thought a shot of Milky Way with the Blue Ridge mountains in the foreground might be interesting. Delmarva also a good idea.

The beaches on the Delmarva are an hour in the airplane as is Hot Springs. I thought a shot of Milky Way with the Blue Ridge mountains in the foreground might be interesting. Delmarva also a good idea.

I usually google where I’m going + Milky Way and you can get a decent idea of whether or not there are dark enough skies. Also can sometimes pick up some location ideas then go to Photo Pills app to check out more specific info and there is a dark skies app Or website that my friend uses but I haven’t checked it out yet. When you get to the site you can use Photo Pills AR to see exactly where the MW will be coming up.

A couple of weeks ago while on Cape Cod I use Photo Pills to find a spot to shoot the Milky Way. It looked like Nauset Light Beach would give me a clear shot of it rising over the ocean. I thought I was so clever.

It was a pretty clear, but not crystal clear night. I found a spot with the lighthouse behind me overlooking the ocean. But as it got dark and you could just start to pick out the MW I noticed that every time the beam from the lighthouse came around it just lit up any moisture that was still in the air. So much for a long exposure. And lesson learned.:acne:

A couple of weeks ago while on Cape Cod I use Photo Pills to find a spot to shoot the Milky Way. It looked like Nauset Light Beach would give me a clear shot of it rising over the ocean. I thought I was so clever.

It was a pretty clear, but not crystal clear night. I found a spot with the lighthouse behind me overlooking the ocean. But as it got dark and you could just start to pick out the MW I noticed that every time the beam from the lighthouse came around it just lit up any moisture that was still in the air. So much for a long exposure. And lesson learned.:acne:

The lighthouses are tricky! Stage Harbor light is good because it no longer has a light but it is weird looking because it no longer has a light! Nubble you get that weird red glow in every shot. Pemaquid works nicely when it lines up in May. I’ve yet to make it to Portland Head for Milky Way and with travel restrictions who knows of I will this year.

Nice shot. What is your source of light for the foreground, are you light painting or is that just some light from something nearby?

Most reactions

Back