Which edit do you prefer?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to decide which style of editing is better for some astro photos. I like the more colorful dramatic style but not sure if I’ve taken it too far? Opinions appreciated. Note - not looking for “realistic” so much as dramatic and awe inspiring (awe of what’s in the skies above us, not awe of the photo). I’m putting together 5-6 prints for a local art show and keep going back and forth on this.

stars on the cape by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Or 2
_CAT6157-2 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

the little lake by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Or 4
_CAT2933-Pano by SharonCat..., on Flickr

The second, more vibrant versions for me. The night sky does not really look like either version to the human eye, as we can't do long exposure with our eyes so why not go for the version that gives an indication of the true glory of the universe that we cannot see for ourselves.

It's like giving people Superman vision for a moment.

First for me on both. The bright spots detract from the main image. I am viewing on my phone. My opinion might change on a big screen.

First for me on both. The bright spots detract from the main image. I am viewing on my phone. My opinion might change on a big screen.

Good point I’ll see if I can do something about those hot spots. Looks like I may have used two different photos for shot #1/2

2 and 2. I think the increased light brings out more color which makes them more beautiful.

I'm with Kirk, both 2's look better to me.

I like the intensity of the 2nd one, the night colors and especially the stars reflected in the pond are getting that extra kick. Beautiful shot!

Looks like I may have used two different photos for shot #1/2
I think so - the bright house in the second version of the first shot isn't present in the first shot. (Try saying that fast 3 times!) ;) Also, I'm not even sure the bright house should be in there, as it pulls the eye away from the gorgeous night sky. I think the first shot is the one you meant to grab - awfully close in composition.

Another successful night out!

2 and 4 definitely look more vibrant and bright, which I tend to like. In 4, the light pollution is pretty strong, though, and tends to draw my eye.

The first photo I like the 2nd version edit, but would darken the brightness of the bottom right. The second photo the 2nd version.

The first in each series for me. I love color, but I want color that appears to be natural looking. The 2nd edits look too Photoshopped to me and I think images like these can stand on their own merit. I WOULD lighten the lower portion of the images though, particularly the first image with the fence.

No 2 for me this time.

I really liked the last photo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back