Christmas Card Help

duckhuntark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Need some tips on how you might improve this picture. My wife is wanting to send this out as a Christmas card and I'm just not quite pleased with it. The few things i see wrong are small shadow behind the kids, my oldest giving the cheesiest smile possible, and i think they are too separated(for a reason though :wink:) I used a flash off to my right but still getting some harsh shadows by the neck area. Next time i'm going to put a reflector on the opposite side. Are there any other suggestions? Maybe getting their hands as well?

Move light in closer, higher and better diffused, probably a little closer to lens axis as well. Child in red shirt, to sit up straight, and maybe boost the ISO a stop or two as the image seems a bit under-exposed.

I would definitely get the flash closer to the same axis as your camera, especially if your just using one. Then raise it a foot or 2 above your camera. Your shadows will drop down out of the frame. I would clean up the composition more. Do you really need to see stockings, fireplace, and Christmas tree? I would know it's a Christmas card by just seeing one of those items in the back. The child on the left would look better sitting up straight as it already been mentioned, and getting them closer would work too. Possibly even pulling back on the zoom and getting one to sit on the floor, so it would bring in more dimension. There is really no end to posing the kids, you can keep going on all night trying to figure out which you like more.

Good luck

Bright er, and maybe get some more distance between them and your backdrop. I also agree maybe just tree or just fireplace so it's not so busy.

I took the liberty to do a little editing, hope you don't mind. Maybe this will work for you. I took out that shadow behind your boys. I gave it some warmth, glow and skin softener. I always feel indoor christmas time should be warm in color.

Christmas-4_zpsd9a6368e by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Thanks guys. I was thinking all the stuff in the back ground was a little too distracted as well. I try to keep my iso under 400 on my camera after that it gets awful noisy. I will try to move the flash in and a little higher as well. How did you go about removing the shadow. I did soften the faces a little but didn't want to go overboard with it.

Thanks again

It seems underexposed. As to the background, I think most of it is o.k., with the exception of the little green pillow and the one turned stocking. Maybe take down the wall hanging too.

Very nice shot. You don't need to show their hands IMO.

As for the cheesy grin, you need to take more pictures of the boys so that he will be more relaxed and natural next time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back