Christmas decisions

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
well its getting that time of the year where we kids have to write our letters to Santa. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this one. I have a budget of ~$400 and I compiled a list of things that I think would make a great lighting setup. Right now I have a cactus trigger and receiver, a umbrella, stand, vivitar 285 HV. And that stuff works great but taking pictures with high light ratios like 8:1 can be repetitive.(I tried throwing a reflector in there but I have to get someone to hold it and it doesn't bounce all that much light back)

So In what order should I get this equipment? I couldn't all at once because it totals near $2005.95

Lights: NKSB600AFKB Nikon SB-600 TTL AF Shoe Mount Speedlight USA Warranty, - Deluxe Outfit with 4 NiMH Batteries, Charger, Flashpoint Flash Diffuser, Flashpoint Quick Flip Flash Bracket & Off-Camera TTL2 3' Coiled Flash Cord for Nikon & 4802B NIKON SB-600 TTL AF Shoe Mount Speedlight - Refurbished By Nikon U.S.A.
(I would use the cord and bracket to help aim the SU-800)

Stands: (2) LSB2212 Photoflex Light Weight 7.7' Lightstand with 5/8" Mounting Stud, 4 Sections with 3 Risers, Black Anodized. & (1) 100STAS Adorama Background Lightstand with 1/4 x 20 Threaded Mounting Screw. With 36" Extension Pole.
(the ADORAMA stand would hold my reflector holder)

Swivel holder: (2) ACBSWCP Photoflex Shoe Mount Multiclamp with Umbrella Holder for Mounting Small Flashes to Light Stands.

Soft Boxes: (2) FVXTXS222KIT Photoflex LiteDome XS Kit-1, with Q39 X-Small, 12" x 16" x 9" Softbox with Basic Connector and Adjustable Shoe Mount Hardware

Transmitter: 4794 Nikon SU-800 Replacement Wireless Speedlight Commander

Reflector: INT265 Interfit Photographic 42" 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc Reflector, Translucent, White, Black, Silver, Gold.

Reflector holder: DLBHOLDER Photoflex Telescopic LiteDisc Holder

Some good glass: 1986G Nikon 80-200 2.8 Ed Af-d W/bracket & Case *77
(this probably will come over time, just wanted to add it to the list)

SB600 first off. BTW why not something like alien bee for wireless flash?
tj

Well the portability of strobes and the Nikon CLS really appeals to me. And I personally don't see a great advantage.

well its getting that time of the year where we kids have to write our letters to Santa. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this one. I have a budget of ~$400 and I compiled a list of things that I think would make a great lighting setup. Right now I have a cactus trigger and receiver, a umbrella, stand, vivitar 285 HV. And that stuff works great but taking pictures with high light ratios like 8:1 can be repetitive.(I tried throwing a reflector in there but I have to get someone to hold it and it doesn't bounce all that much light back)

So In what order should I get this equipment? I couldn't all at once because it totals near $2005.95

Lights: NKSB600AFKB Nikon SB-600 TTL AF Shoe Mount Speedlight USA Warranty, - Deluxe Outfit with 4 NiMH Batteries, Charger, Flashpoint Flash Diffuser, Flashpoint Quick Flip Flash Bracket & Off-Camera TTL2 3' Coiled Flash Cord for Nikon & 4802B NIKON SB-600 TTL AF Shoe Mount Speedlight - Refurbished By Nikon U.S.A.
(I would use the cord and bracket to help aim the SU-800)

Stands: (2) LSB2212 Photoflex Light Weight 7.7' Lightstand with 5/8" Mounting Stud, 4 Sections with 3 Risers, Black Anodized. & (1) 100STAS Adorama Background Lightstand with 1/4 x 20 Threaded Mounting Screw. With 36" Extension Pole.
(the ADORAMA stand would hold my reflector holder)

Swivel holder: (2) ACBSWCP Photoflex Shoe Mount Multiclamp with Umbrella Holder for Mounting Small Flashes to Light Stands.

Soft Boxes: (2) FVXTXS222KIT Photoflex LiteDome XS Kit-1, with Q39 X-Small, 12" x 16" x 9" Softbox with Basic Connector and Adjustable Shoe Mount Hardware

Transmitter: 4794 Nikon SU-800 Replacement Wireless Speedlight Commander

Reflector: INT265 Interfit Photographic 42" 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc Reflector, Translucent, White, Black, Silver, Gold.

Reflector holder: DLBHOLDER Photoflex Telescopic LiteDisc Holder

Some good glass: 1986G Nikon 80-200 2.8 Ed Af-d W/bracket & Case *77
(this probably will come over time, just wanted to add it to the list)
CLS has problems outside in direct sunlight, doesn't have a lot of range and if others nearby are also using using flash (their flash triggers your speedlights. Then you have to wait for them to recycle).

For the cost of the Adorama SB-600 kit you could instead buy: 2 Vivitar 285HV speedlights and 2 iShoot, 4 channel radio trigger kits giving you 2 transmitters (1 for a spare) and 4 receivers (at least 100 foot range). Each receiver can mount 2 speedlights (double your power).

For the cost of the SU-800
You can buy 3 Impact air cushioned light stands, 3 impact umbrellas brackets and 3 45 inch convertible umbrellas and a nice 42" Impact 5-in1 reflector.

So 2 speedlights, 4 channel radio triggers for 4 speedlights, 3 light stands with umbrellas and a big 5-in-one reflector for $550.

With the savings you can buy all your NiMH battteries and MAHA 8 hole chargers from ThomasDistributing.com

Merry Christmas, Ho, Ho , Ho!

8 foot air cushioned Light Stand $35
Umbrella Bracket $15
45 inch Convertible Umbrella $15
Vivitar 285HV $90
Radio Trigger Set 1 transmitter/2 receivers $50 including shipping.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, yeah it would be nice to have those extra flashes but would it be worth it? the only thing I dont like about the 285HV is that it only can be set at M, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/18.

I will look into it more now, but it would be really nice to have the nikon system. (or it just that I want to be more like joe mcnally)

And how are those triggers and receivers? I have the cactus V2 and the range and reliability could be a bit better.

EDIT: and I used a softbox once and loved it, any recommendations on a good brand. The photoflex XS kit looked nice.

Thanks KMH but the advantages of the Nikon system outweigh the low cost of a vivtar based flash system. And if i Needed a setup now I probably would go with that later, but im in no hurry.(and good thing my B-Day is 2 months after christmas!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back