Christmas Delivery

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend this week reminded me it's only 14 weeks till Christmas..........WTH, I haven't even started Fall shots. Looks like I may be doing "all in one" shots this season. Anyhow DW got a new decoration that I thought would be a cool subject to work on light painting with with a small LED penlight.

Pentax K1MII, FA 100mm macro, ISO 100, f/20, at 2 seconds. Normally I'd go with a slower shutter to give more time to paint, but the ornaments in the tree were lighted, any slower and I was losing the color. With the shutter on a timer/delay, I'd paint the truck with the light, one section at a time. The headlights were lit post using a new technique I was trying out. It's been a whole year since I did any snow post, so I'm a little rusty on it. Enjoy

Christmas Delivery (1 of 1).jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Have you built your Fall set yet? Or your Christmas set for the little one?

Not only have I not built either, but sadly I have no ideas, or motivation. Between the pandemic and family problems, its been a roller coaster year.

I've had a couple of major projects put on hold this year, after spending considerable time in prep which has taken a toll on my motivation.

How about you? Anything you're working on?

I just came up with a new decorating idea today. :)

Very cool love the snow effect.

I just came up with a new decorating idea today. :)

Does it involve a truck? LOL

Very cool love the snow effect.

Thank you. There are several different ways to add snow post depending on the type of snow you want. Here I wanted a blowing snow look so I used a white custom brush to paint randomly on a separate layer. Adding Gaussian blur adds to the effect.

Far to early to speak of such things. Bah humbug:D

Not only have I not built either, but sadly I have no ideas, or motivation. Between the pandemic and family problems, its been a roller coaster year.

I've had a couple of major projects put on hold this year, after spending considerable time in prep which has taken a toll on my motivation.

Nothing yet this year. Not sure when we will see the grands and definitely not inside. I have my little set still up from Mardi Gras. I may do a Christmas theme with the pups. Not feeling it this year.

Nothing yet this year. Not sure when we will see the grands and definitely not inside. I have my little set still up from Mardi Gras. I may do a Christmas theme with the pups. Not feeling it this year.

Yup. Hard to get excited. Think I've settled on my first fall set. Most of the props I have, the rest won't be hard to find or expensive.

I think this is awesome, Smoke. The lighting is dramatic and the snow effect is absolutely working. How much time would you estimate was spent in post and in the shot?

I think this is awesome, Smoke. The lighting is dramatic and the snow effect is absolutely working. How much time would you estimate was spent in post and in the shot?

Thanks, it always amazes me at how much you can accomplish with a little LED flashlight. As to time I don't know, maybe a couple hours to set up, shoot, process and put everything away . I generally try to envision in my mind the final image before I start, so everything just falls in place as I go. The set is a piece of cotton batting laid over a wood block, so the truck is elevated slightly. That created the shadows you see in front. A piece of black foam core provided the background. Maybe a half dozen test shots to dial in my exposure (The decorations on the tree were battery powered LEDs that were a bear to keep from blowing out the highlights). Using a rolled up black paper snoot on the light gives you very precise control. From there its just a process of release the shutter, paint a section with light, and repeat as you work your way around the truck. Each of the images were aligned as layers in PS using auto align. A few adjustments, paint a snow layer, a little tone mapping, and it was done.

Most reactions

Back