Christmas set need light help

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do I get more light to the subject's left side eye socket? I have a poster board to reflect light and may possibly get an assistant to hold a reflector. How is the position of the speedlight? I also have a dome light that I've never used.

121818_01SmW.jpg 121818_02SmW.jpg

Move it closer to the subject, as well as closer to the light source.

Or possibly use something more reflective, like one of these:

koKMw.jpg

With that light and that set, a reflector isn't going to do a lot to get additional illumination on the left eye. You can either bring the light a bit more to the right, add a second light, low, camera right, as a fill, move the light closer and/or use a larger modifier for better wrap.

Adding to the above, it looks like your key light is a little high for pooch. I've found with Sadie, that dog's eye sockets tend to be recessed, and do better with the light lower. Since the muzzle gets in the way, bringing the key closer to on axis will give more light on the right. Also, the reflector on the right IMO is to far away to do much good. I'd move it in to just barely out of frame. Looks like you did a good job taking all those wrinkles out of that back drop in post? :anonymous: Can't wait to see the photos

Tell the subject to bring his head 15 degrees up, and 15 degrees right, but keep the eyes pointed at the lens.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. To recap: bring the light more to the center and lower. Add a larger reflector closer on the right side. I haven't used flash since last Christmas and wondering if placed a black poster board where the subject sits to see the light spray?

I have this wide slave flash. If I recall it flashes based on the camera's flash. Would this help with fill on the right side?
ImpactSF-DTWX24 Mini Dome Wide Slave Flash

@smoke665 the photo was at 2.8 so no need to photoshop the wrinkles. When I get all 3 grands in place I will use a higher aperture and am sure the wrinkles will be noticeable.

@zulu42, surprisingly the pup is much, much easier to work with than the 2yo grand. :D

Tell the subject to bring his head 15 degrees up, and 15 degrees right, but keep the eyes pointed at the lens.

Seems like the light is too CLOSE to the subject, and too far camera-left, so that the muzzle and face shape are preventing the dog's one eye from "seeing" the light, from "seeing" the front of the umbrella. If the umbrella were backed up,farther from the subject, it's likely that the angle would flatten out, and that BOTH eyes would "see" the umbrella front.

I'm not kidding about having the dog loom more toward the camera-left direction; that would make both eyes face the umbrella's front more, and you'd get more light, and a catchlight, in both eyes.

As the photo _proves_, the placement of the umbrella is not getting light to that one eyeball!

the photo was at 2.8

Another thought, since Schnauzers tend to have a relatively long schnoz, is 2.8 going to give you enough DOF for the face?

I find the entire scene to be too flatly lit. I would move the stool and dog much closer to the camera. I'm compelled to replace the green tree with a flocked tree. This one seems, to me, to be "out of key," being the largest and weightiest portion of the composition.

Have fun!
-Pete

Seems like the light is too CLOSE to the subject, and too far camera-left, so that the muzzle and face shape are preventing the dog's one eye from "seeing" the light, from "seeing" the front of the umbrella. If the umbrella were backed up,farther from the subject, it's likely that the angle would flatten out, and that BOTH eyes would "see" the umbrella front.

I'm not kidding about having the dog loom more toward the camera-left direction; that would make both eyes face the umbrella's front more, and you'd get more light, and a catchlight, in both eyes.

As the photo _proves_, the placement of the umbrella is not getting light to that one eyeball!

Thank you Derrel! I backed up the umbrella a few feet and lowered, changed the flash output from 1/8 to 1/1, changed the to f7.1, and moved the umbrella to about 6:30 or 7:00 position (not sure how to phrase correctly.

A little contrast and crop:

2F6A2833SmWtest.jpg

I find the entire scene to be too flatly lit. I would move the stool and dog much closer to the camera. I'm compelled to replace the green tree with a flocked tree. This one seems, to me, to be "out of key," being the largest and weightiest portion of the composition.

Have fun!
-Pete

I do have a flocked wood Christmas stand decor that is a tad shorter. I'll give it a try. For the grandkids I have a bench and the tree won't fit.

Edit: I now see the weight issue for the composition.

IMO your key distance was better in the first, just needed lowering and brought around closer to axis, but I fear you may have reached the point of "To many cooks in the kitchen", and time to start following the advice of Christie photo above and just "Have fun!". That's the best advise I've seen so far.

IMO your key distance was better in the first, just needed lowering and brought around closer to axis, but I fear you may have reached the point of "To many cooks in the kitchen", and time to start following the advice of Christie photo above and just "Have fun!". That's the best advise I've seen so far.

Fun?? This lighting stuff is work. ;) This year is easier than last with all those background lights and not familiar with the triggers and stand. I think the last time I had the flash out was for Valentine's day. It is a lot of work and props to the pros that do this daily. I'll play around with the light position. Hopefully the pups won't go blind with all of the flashes.

It is a lot of work and props to the pros that do this daily.

Yeah but those who are fortunate enough to have dedicated studio space it's a lot easier, because there is less setup/take down, and once you have it dialed in its a lot easier to make minor changes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back