Circular polariser and wide angle circular polarisers

Jingles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking at circular polarisers and came across a "Tiffen 72mm Wide Angle Circ Polarizer" and the "B+W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Extra Wide MRC Filter", I didn't even know wide angle circular polarisers were a thing. My BS sensor went off when I saw this because from what I understand about circular polarisers is that if they are used with wide/super wide angle lenses they can produce an uneven polarising effect. Is my BS meter correct or does my BS sensor need calibrating?

I'm using a Nikon AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF lens with my D600, later I'm looking at getting a AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED lens.

I suspect that what they mean is that these are thin-mount polarizers that can be used with shorter-focal length lenses without (or with less) vignetting than that produced by a normal thickness filter. I do use a polarizer with my UWA, but you're right, it can definitely produce banding and uneven polarization.

Thanks tirediron. I wish vignetting was the only side effect of UWA lenses.

How wide can you generally go with an UWA before you start seeing banding and uneven polarisation?

It really depends on a number of factors including the quality of the filter itself, the angle with respect to the sun, etc. Generally I find that >20mm (DX) is not too bad.

Most reactions

Back