Circular Polarizer, UV, Cross Screen

sdgmusic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sean-degroote.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a circular polarizer. I heard that you have to play around with it and twist it to get the right view of reflection and whatever. Is this true? is there a special technique to using this type of filter?

I also got a UV and a Cross Screen. I understand these are pretty straight forward, but if you have hints do let me know!

Thanks
Sean

I just purchased a circular polarizer. I heard that you have to play around with it and twist it to get the right view of reflection and whatever. Is this true? is there a special technique to using this type of filter?

The effect of the polariser will depend on the realtive positions of the light source, the subject and the camera and on the nature of the light. Sometimes it will have a vey noticeable effect, sometimes no effect at all. You need to experiment. Put the polariser on your lens and watch through the viewfinder while you rotate the filter. You should see the effect of the filter, particularly if looking at a blue sky or reflections on water.

Bear in mind the affect of a polariser changes at which angle you photograph to the sun. The polariser should be adjusted to taste for each shot everytime you move or change the direction you are shooting. The key here is to taste. There's no dos and don'ts with polarisers, there's just the affect that looks good to you and the affect that doesn't.

The biggest differences happen on sunny days in the middle of the day. The sky goes darker, the plants go greener and stop reflecting white, and water stops reflecting the sky depending on how it's turned. Same goes for glass.

is this true also with circular polarizers?

is this true also with circular polarizers?

Yes. Both linear and circular polarisers have the same effect but they don't achieve it in the same way (they don't polarise the light in the same way). For modern autofocus cameras with complex metering systems, a circular polariser is better though, as a linear one could interfere with the autofocus and/or metering.

The affect should be pretty obvious though... it's not something you'll need to spend too much time on. Just throw it on and twist until you get the desired affect.

For modern autofocus cameras with complex metering systems, a circular polariser is better though, as a linear one could interfere with the autofocus and/or metering.

For an ancient 30+ year old camera circular polarisers are better too as the linear one throws out the focusing screen :p

Just forget linear polarisers exist.

Most reactions

Back