Cleaning advice on Nikon d5100

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello.

I lent my camera out to a friend today and just got it back and went to take a picture of my rabbit and noticed that in the view finder there is a lot of dust. So i took a closer look and pointed towards a light and there is just so much dust on it. I called and asked what happened he said he noticed a couple of large items in the view finder so took lens of didnt see anything there so wiped over the mirror with a microfiber cloth and all was fine then.
I am guessing the cloth was dirty and has left more smaller dust there it really is hard to see but i notice it there and its a lot its not affecting pictures but really dont like the look of it it looks a little blurry to me and wondered the best way to remove so much dust without causing more problems?

Thanks.

Dust on the viewfinder or on the mirror will not affect your photos; the mirror only allows you to see the scene through the viewfinder.

You can try using a blower, like the Giottos Rocket, and see how much that will take off. I've heard about wiping mirrors causing them to be knocked out of alignment, but don't know for sure. You may be able to lock the mirror up and give it a gentle wipe with a sensor cleaner.

Great a blower almost done the job few bits didnt move but it is far better than it was, sensor was fine just mirror was very bad and was rather annoying to me looking in the viewfinder, was only noticable on bright things but panic over now thanks.

Is there a section on this forum dedicated to cleaning the Nikon cameras and lenses properly without damaging any of the components? It would be greatly appreciated if you can point me to that section.

Have a look on youtube, if you dont get any joy here.

John.

Great suggestion, i'll have a look. I know that these things are fragile and i wanna do it right the first time.

Photographic Solutions (http://photosol.com) makes the kit I bought. They have a decent video showing how to clean the sensor - it really isn't difficult.

I was in the same boat a the other day.. piece of lint was showing up on all my pictures.. Finally got the bugger out yesterday .. Like a floater in your eye.. So damn annoying.������

Don't forget to clean the focusing screen with the blower.
The focusing screen is in the top of the mirror box.

When you are looking through the viewfinder and release the shutter, the viewfinder goes black when the mirror swings up against the focusing screen and out of the light path.
Then the front/first shutter curtains opens to let light get to the image sensor. The rear/second shutter curtain then closes to end the exposure, the mirror swings back down into the light path, and we can again see through the lens in the viewfinder.

Hello.

I lent my camera out to a friend today and just got it back and went to take a picture of my rabbit and noticed that in the view finder there is a lot of dust. So i took a closer look and pointed towards a light and there is just so much dust on it. I called and asked what happened he said he noticed a couple of large items in the view finder so took lens of didnt see anything there so wiped over the mirror with a microfiber cloth and all was fine then.
I am guessing the cloth was dirty and has left more smaller dust there it really is hard to see but i notice it there and its a lot its not affecting pictures but really dont like the look of it it looks a little blurry to me and wondered the best way to remove so much dust without causing more problems?

Thanks.

Never touch the mirror with anything period you will scratch it ! Do a web search there you will find a whole lot of info on what you ask !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back