Cleaning Filter?

Gritts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi. I just started using it, and it's fantastic. I have applied a Hoya 58mm UV Filter to keep the lens protected.

Already, I'm noticing some smudges and specks on the filter.

My question is, how can I get rid of these? Also, Hoya is one of the top filter brands, correct?

When I ordered my camera, I received a package deal. One item of this package was a lens cleaning 3-part kit, including "Lens fluid, a cleaning cloth, and cotton swabs," as marked on the front of the package. Would this work for cleaning the filter? Marked on the back of the package, the fluid is made up of Water and Isopropyl Alcohol. The cotton swabs are 100% cotton.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

I like to use a lens brush to get the dust and dirt off the glass first. If there are any streaks, I crumble up a lens tissue and put a drop of lens cleaning fluid on the tissue. Carefully wipe the lens with the wet tissue then follow with a dry tissue.
...Terry

Thanks! You seem experienced.

I have a great little lens brush, it resembles a pen in size and shape (it even has the clip on the side). The bristles come out of the end when you twist the top.
...Terry

Suggest you put a drop of fluid on the tissue, not the filter. Lightly wipe from center outward. You can also use an outward spiral motion with absolute minimum of pressure. The last thing you want to do is scratch the filter. Do not use the wipes more than once.

You can also use the condensation from your breath and a microfibre cloth to remove light dust and specks.

Additionally, you can get an air blower like this Giotto. They come in small, medium and large. Can be used on your lens as well as blowing dust off your sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back