There's lots of noise on Canon rumours that images aren't sharp SOOC. But there is too much pixel peeping going on and people saying that they have to sharpen images. Most digital images have to be sharpened because of the way digital imaging works and because of the anti aliasing filter. It's a great camera. Ok it doesn't have 36 mp, but I have great L glass from 14 - 300mm (14L II, 16 - 35 L II 24 - 70 L 70 - 200 IS 2.8 L and 28 - 300L- got that one for a trip to Colombia where I didn't want to carry the full set with me - I turned out to have full blown flu and didn't leave my room until I left for Lima). I do think you can have too much of a good thing as far as megapixels are concerned and although on paper the figures are good for the D800 I'm hppy with the images I am getting from the mk III. Low light is drastically better and AF is better and quicker, though I usually use single point in any case. My Pentax 645D is being picked up to be repaired tomorrow so I probably won't see that for 6 - 8 weeks so got the mkIII as an excellent back up camera.