Club Shoot - C&C, Post Processing Help...

sam0182

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While I've shot in a few clubs before, this was my first music/venue event. Lighting was a nightmare, all other photographers bailed and so I'm stuck being the only poor, inexperienced bastard, shooting ATB two nights ago at the Showbox in Seattle.

ATB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm trying to make some sense of this lighting mess via post processing...I'm using lightroom and my standard fix is...

1) Increase Blacks

2) Increase Clarity

3) Sharpen

4) Noise Reduction/Luminance, depending on how poor my lighting was.

With no flash, I shot mostly at 1200-1600 ISO. With flash, I was able to nail it down to 320. I didn't have any issues shooting individual groups as I could use my flash up close...but trying to get action shots of the DJ's was an utter struggle.

Feedback?

1)

untitled-80 by sam0182, on Flickr

2)

untitled-44 by sam0182, on Flickr

3)

untitled-25 by sam0182, on Flickr

4)

untitled-6 by sam0182, on Flickr

5)

untitled-77 by sam0182, on Flickr

6)

untitled-30 by sam0182, on Flickr

Much appreciated :)

ATB! Argh! I like ATB! His "9 PM Till I Come" is still one of the tracks in my Favorite List! "Don't Stop" comes next! Ha ha ha ha. When is he gonna come over to Singapore?

Anyway, back to your images. ISO1250-1600 produces pretty clean images on your camera. Pretty good. Lighting in clubs are usually nightmares but with high ISOs, this becomes a little easier for digital shooters. Shutter speeds should be kept slower to capture motion. We want to showcase the fun, the energy, the mood, the ambience. Motion blur is VERY appropriate in this sense. This isn't some NBA basketball match or your favorite Superbowl so freezing action is not a necessity.

Flash power should be controlled. Use Manual mode on your flash and put it on 1/32 ~ 1/64. If you are using iTTL or eTTL, put it to -2.3 ~ -3.0 FV. We want to just light up the ambience. Pic 2,3 and 6 is not appropriately done. Pics 1,4 and 5 hits the spot.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

50994d5a.jpg

Sorry, no intention to intrude onto your thread. If you don't like it, I'll remove it. Just to show you what I meant only.

Good luck on your next shoot. :)

Last edited:
No worries, thanks for the example and information regarding application of flash vs the circumstance. Looking back to 2, 3 & 6, I can see where less is more in terms of flash...in fact, I'm finding myself "blacking" a lot of the flash pictures, simply too much light.

I'll be carrying around a couple different lenses this Thursday and will give me 1.8 50mm a try, which should help with the lower lighting.

I appreciate the help. ATB is truly amazing and put on an awesome show. He teased everyone with cut ins of "9PM" & "Don't Stop" but never gave it all :(

If you follow trance, I'm shooting Ferry Corsten this Thursday. Stoked.

Thanks for the feedback Zeckson!

No worries, thanks for the example and information regarding application of flash vs the circumstance. Looking back to 2, 3 & 6, I can see where less is more in terms of flash...in fact, I'm finding myself "blacking" a lot of the flash pictures, simply too much light.

I'll be carrying around a couple different lenses this Thursday and will give me 1.8 50mm a try, which should help with the lower lighting.

I appreciate the help. ATB is truly amazing and put on an awesome show. He teased everyone with cut ins of "9PM" & "Don't Stop" but never gave it all :(

If you follow trance, I'm shooting Ferry Corsten this Thursday. Stoked.

Thanks for the feedback Zeckson!

Ferry Corsten. Ah! I am beginning to hate you... Ha ha ha ha. "Fire" is not bad. Don't kind of like "Watch Out". My favorite from him is still "Radio Crash". Love that bass! Ha ha ha ha! 50mm f/1.8 is good but not wide enough. 35mm f/2 should be better. See if you can rent this lens over at the stores. Or if the new 35mm f/1.4 is out in stores, go get it. Should be a wonderful lens. :D

Most reactions

Back