Collecting Old Film

Hi,

Why are you guys seeking discontinued film and willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Is it just to put on a shelf as a conversation piece or do you guys have an older camera that takes the film that you guys wish you could use again? That would have to be one hell of a camera to spend $1500 per roll of film.

I'm just unsure why you guys are collecting. I don't do film photography myself anyways, so what would I know. ;-)

Nearly all of those films were made in 35mm and Medium format (120). In case you hadn't realized, 35mm and medium format cameras are still made. A number of them are vastly more expensive than most 35mm-sized digital SLR's.

Apparently you were born yesterday. Did you really look at this thread and go, "Man! Who's got a camera these days that can shoot 35mm film!?"

Max, have you given Berrger film a try yet? I had used it for a year a while back before I switched to Efke/Adox. I just reviewed some of my negatives and photographs made with the film and I think I am going to give it a try again. Some say it is the closets thing to SuperXX, it may be close but nothing is SuperXX, but it is better than I remembered it being.

I have a love-hate relationship with Bergger. Their papers are wonderful, especially Prestige. I don't shoot quite as much 35mm as I used to, and my Pentax 645 won't accept Bergger 120 because the paper backing is too thick and the insert can't spool it. I've considered ordering some in 4x5. It is nice stuff, though.

I like TX, but it really makes you work in the darkroom. The fact that it has a pretty wide midtone range makes it a little trickier to get those black blacks without losing highlight detail.

One on my past fav's was Kodak's Ektar 25. I have just a couple of rolls EXP. 04/1995 that I have horded just for grins and giggles. It sits on my brag shelf with a few old metal film cans and first Nikon bodies. Dang that film was good for big prints.

Nearly all of those films were made in 35mm and Medium format (120). In case you hadn't realized, 35mm and medium format cameras are still made. A number of them are vastly more expensive than most 35mm-sized digital SLR's.

Apparently you were born yesterday. Did you really look at this thread and go, "Man! Who's got a camera these days that can shoot 35mm film!?"

Chill, Max, chill. He might've just missed the size discussion.

I just bought a brick of (supposedly) refrigerated Agfachrome 50 that expired back when I was in high school (1997). It ended up being cheap (about 50 cents a roll) so I figured what the hell...

I think what he was asking is why are you willing to pay thousands of dollars on film thats not made anymore, is it just for the nostalgia of having it?

Or is it so you can use it in a camera that you own of that period time Frame? Or you just like the quality so much of those particular films?..

I think what he was asking is why are you willing to pay thousands of dollars on film thats not made anymore, is it just for the nostalgia of having it?

Or is it so you can use it in a camera that you own of that period time Frame? Or you just like the quality so much of those particular films?..

Gee I want to know too. Maybe I can raid the Frig. and make some sales. :lol:

I didn't always freeze it, and the film is old, but was kept cooled except for a couple of months between living quarters, then replaced in the Frig. No guarantee.

I used to shoot a roll now and then, just to see if it was still good.

120 (I think?) PXP = 4, TXP = 2, VPS = 1, 127 Walgreens I'd guess? "Made in Belgium", VP 116 (Jun 1976) now there's an oldie. VP 620 (DEC 1969), Unknown, that looks like it's 116.
oldfilm4.jpg

100 feet Kodak, marked "125"
oldfilm2.jpg

The box is Kodak HC135-36 Copy Film.
oldfilm3.jpg

Then the assortment of KB21 (which I bought because it had plastic re-loadable containers with a threaded end) some TriX, one Panatomic X, A bunch of high speed recording 2475. All late 70's except the Pan-X which looks like early 80s, one roll of Infrared.

oldfilm1.jpg

OK so Ektachrome Tungsten 50, how's that for a strange one for the collection? :lol: The Verichrome Pan in the odd sizes? I thing the VPS was professional 120 film. I had a large format cameras and if I remember right, it was supposed to be good for portraits.

I was playing with high contrast and used the copy film shot at ASA 8 (or something like that?) Developed in Dektol. Same deal the other way for the 2475, high speed surveillance film. Developed in hot Acufine.

I have flash bulbs too? :lmao: 25B for focal plain shutters in daylight blue. I used them as backup, back before electronic flashes were reliable. Also good in a quick pinch, easy to carry in the bag with a little folding flash unit.

Are you selling that stuff?

If so, I want the PanX at the very least. Is the copy film in metal canisters or are those oddly shaped bulk rolls? I also want the 2475, the TX, and everything in 120. Shoot me a PM.

Oh, and what the hell is KB?

Are you selling that stuff?

If so, I want the PanX at the very least. Is the copy film in metal canisters or are those oddly shaped bulk rolls? I also want the 2475, the TX, and everything in 120. Shoot me a PM.

Oh, and what the hell is KB?

LOL KB21 is B&W 20 exposure 100 ASA film, which happens to be 21 DIN. When I was doing bulk reloading, the ends would fall off the resealable cans, and some photo shop had this film with end caps that were threaded. So I'd shoot it and then re-use the plastic "cans".

It says Fotokemika Zagreb on it, which is a Croatian photo company, and I just did a search and they are still around.

oldfilm5.jpg

I don't know if any of this is any good after 30 years.

If nothing else, I'm showing off some old photo junk? :thumbup:

I guess there's a generation gap here, because before film came in those nifty plastic cap cans, it came in aluminum screw cap cans. Before that, you can see in the pictures, it was in a cardboard box, in foil. I guess the AL cans were not around that long? Maybe the late 50s through early 70s?

It looks like the Ektachrome and some of the others are still made in the 120 film. The High Speed has a new name, and I thought I saw something about Kodak dropping the IR films. The copy film was for copying documents. I don't know what the Kodak 125 was, in the bulk can. It's still sealed. Same date as the rest, late 60s, early 70s.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? I assume it's B&W film.

You didn't say whether you were selling it or not.

I WANT TO BUY YOUR FILM.

please please please sell me some.

Most reactions

Back