What's new

College Portolio feedback?

You portfolio is a one trick pony that shows no real "range".
 
its supposed to have a theme and mine is music/musicians
 
Thanks for the honesty though, I don't trust my friends at home to give me reliable feedback.
 
I'm certainly no expert, but to me you have five shots: the sax player, the drummer, the guys sitting outside; the rest are singing and playing guitar. Maybe try for some more backstage shots, getting ready for the show, etc. I think the two with the dog add a little variety, and of those I think the first one is best. Good luck.
 
Send a pic of a check, thats what really gets you in their door. Believe me, I know 1st hand
bigthumb.gif
 
I have to agree with Bitter, there's a lot of photos you could take that would relate to the same thing but not be so similar... if that makes sense. Also playing the devils advocate if I was your professor and I saw these the first thing I would think is Insanity obviously loves bands and tried to get away with going to concerts and getting her homework done at the same time... Now my photography teacher was super cool and it would've slided with him but that was also high school and college I'm assuming is different. The noise seems a little high on a couple... I would throw a little bit more in to mix it up but I don't know what all the requirements are.
 
thanks! the thing is, I live in a really small town so shooting options are really rare for me...I have to go at least 5 hours out of town to find any music. The college I'm applying for knows this and takes it into consideration when they review my stuff. It kinda sucks though =( I only have until november

the first are really noisy because i was shooting with a kit lens that didnt have a wide enough aper. for night shots, I just got a new faster lens a week ago and I've only had the time to go to one show in jax, which is why they are almost all from the same concert

thanks for all of the feedback!!

2Wheel: I wish I could send a photo of sound check, but the only check I ever see these guys do is drink a whole lot of beer =p
 
Last edited:
If that's you in the picture I would say you have a great subject, you may not play an instrument but you look rock n roll to me. Drum sticks cost like $5 and nobody will ever know if you play or not if you stand in front of a camera with a couple sticks... Plus if you're that far out of town and live in GA I'm sure you got some blue grass back woods stuff going on, now that would be cool and offset your photos a bit. I hope it all goes well for you.
 
actually I was literally gonna go out tomorrow with my friend, some drumsticks, a guitar, and my camera lol its funny you said that. I don't have blue hair anymore though, my school won't allow it =/ but I have black hair which is rock n roll enough i guess =p. Nah there isnt even that in my town i mean its seriously a ghost town. My goal is to send my portfolio in next week (the sooner the better they said) so im gonna try and find one more show as close as possible
 
How about some still lifes of instruments, sheet music, etc?
 
I was thinking about taking shots of my guitar or maybe piano, but my piano is boring, I want to find like a grand piano. I might try to find a music store somewhere and hope they'll let me take pictures in the store.
 
A school won't allow blue hair but feeds their students blue meat, exactly why our education system is messed up. My teachers made me change a tshirt that said Florida University of Culture and Knowledge... what they should have done was commended me on the ability to walk around school for 3/4ths of the day with a shirt that said F U @ K down the side of it. I would do some more thinking outside the box small town or not there is music all around us, I'm sure there is a church in your town that ha a choir, if you're lucky they have a black rocking Blues Travelers choir. I'm sure google has answers too, I wish I had google when I was in school.
 
Think outside the box. Your theme is music and you are taking it too literally. Art schools want to see potential in creativity, composition and raw talent. If you have questions get the e-mail of a professor there and they may be able to help you a lot in terms of what they are looking for.

As far as the piano. Look, any piano would do in this example:
stock-photo-15551576-close-up-of-piano-keys.jpg


Here are some more ideas to get your creativity flowing.

stock-photo-7867798-man-playing-air-guitar.jpg
stock-photo-14656744-sheet-music.jpg
stock-photo-15503342-music-conductor-hands-with-baton.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom