What's new

College Portolio feedback?

A school won't allow blue hair but feeds their students blue meat, exactly why our education system is messed up. My teachers made me change a tshirt that said Florida University of Culture and Knowledge... what they should have done was commended me on the ability to walk around school for 3/4ths of the day with a shirt that said F U @ K down the side of it. I would do some more thinking outside the box small town or not there is music all around us, I'm sure there is a church in your town that ha a choir, if you're lucky they have a black rocking Blues Travelers choir. I'm sure google has answers too, I wish I had google when I was in school.

I quoted this because its just all around awesome. Well we have one church that has a choir, and its about 3 people. Believe me this is one of those towns where you know EVERYTHING about it lol. I have a few friends that are in "bands" they dont play shows, its just jam sessions. I'm hoping one of them will be practicing this weekend or something

CCericola: I see your point, but thats not what music is to me, thats not my style, its so fixed. I dont get any emotion from it, and the college wants to see my interests/styles/passions etc etc TO me music is constantly flowing, never still. Its something you have to capture not pose. Its alive. Thats why all I have is live stuff which I guess may bite me in the a** but ya know I gotta do what I love =] (dont get me wrong those were great pictures, just not what music is to me)

On a side note I do like the air guitar pic A LOT though thats awesome
 
Last edited:
TO me music is constantly flowing, never still.

How about a picture of a guy doing air guitar while standing in a river! Just an idea. Remember they want natural creativity. If all your images are the same that shows a lack of creativity. This isn't a testament to your life it is marketing yourself to get into art school.

What schools are you applying to?
 
I just wrote down a lot of ideas that im gonna try to get done this weekend. I was thinking my friend playing air guitar in front of my "wall of band posters" ya know like those are his heroes or something. And I have a bunch of other ideas =]. Well I'm applying to the California College of the Arts and I'm accepted into the Savannah College of Art and Design, but I REALLY want to go to Cali.

oh an if I can, I want that photo to be like a vertical panning shot, just to be different.
 
Here's one a highschool class mate of mine did a few years ago, I thought it might be inspirational:
Browsing deviantART
 
I find it hard to believe someone in HS did those photos, I think if that were submitted to a college they would get a teaching job and not a student. The photos with the music flying around is super awesome, probably one of the best photos I've seen.
 
I find it hard to believe someone in HS did those photos, I think if that were submitted to a college they would get a teaching job and not a student. The photos with the music flying around is super awesome, probably one of the best photos I've seen.

She was definitely lightyears above everyone else! Her parents are both pro photographers, so she had great teachers and available gear. She also has an unfair helping of natural talent, lol!
 
Although a school doesn't expect you to be a finished professional (otherwise you wouldn't need the school), this looks more like a bunch of snapshots than an attempt at serious photography. The school wants to see if you are willing to WORK at photography, not just take your camera along when you're partying. There are a few shots that are OK, but even the good ones have flaws: the sax player is interesting, but the background is noisy and too in-focus (could be fixed in PP) and the man is flat and lacking contrast (again, fixable in post); in #2 the guitar (and the man) are cut off and blank sky fills half the image; #4 is a bit better, but the headstock is cut off (both shots would be better looking down from a higher vantage point and shot vertical instead of horizontal); etc., etc. As others have pointed out, the addition of still life shots, choirs, etc. would give your portfolio breadth and variety. I'll add that taking the photo is only half the job; post processing makes the difference between a good shot and a great shot. Even if you can't afford Photoshop, Corel is always running $40 specials on PaintShop Pro and Gimp is free. Always remember: anybody can have a vision, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to bring that vision to reality.
 
Thanks, Scuba you and one other person on my latest pot have really made me consider giving up. I used to have confidence that one day I would have the opportunity to get out and learn more, and that opportunity was college. But I really don't believe in myself anymore. I knew my photography obviously wasn't the best, but I never thought once that I had no talent whatsoever. So I'm gonna delete my account on here and every other photography forum. I don't mean this as a hateful post, I've just lost so much now. I always thought dreams were worth being pursued, but I am quite apparently wrong in mine.
 
If your theme is music/musicians why not have a few shots of instruments? You could get really creative with it. I think an art school is going to be more interested in you if they see a ton of creativity and originality, more than raw photographic talent. I did a set of pictures that were instruments where i did lightwriting... The light was supposed to be kinda like the music in the air... They didn't turn out good at all imo. But it was something new that I hadn't personally seen before. I do really like some of the ones you've got but I forgot to pay attention to which ones... there was so many. Lol sorry.

Again.. These turned out super crappy... but maybe they can inspire you a little.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69154539@N03/6287553514/
 
Thanks, Scuba you and one other person on my latest pot have really made me consider giving up. I used to have confidence that one day I would have the opportunity to get out and learn more, and that opportunity was college. But I really don't believe in myself anymore. I knew my photography obviously wasn't the best, but I never thought once that I had no talent whatsoever. So I'm gonna delete my account on here and every other photography forum. I don't mean this as a hateful post, I've just lost so much now. I always thought dreams were worth being pursued, but I am quite apparently wrong in mine.

Spoken like a true teenager.
 
Thanks, Scuba you and one other person on my latest pot have really made me consider giving up. I used to have confidence that one day I would have the opportunity to get out and learn more, and that opportunity was college. But I really don't believe in myself anymore. I knew my photography obviously wasn't the best, but I never thought once that I had no talent whatsoever. So I'm gonna delete my account on here and every other photography forum. I don't mean this as a hateful post, I've just lost so much now. I always thought dreams were worth being pursued, but I am quite apparently wrong in mine.

If your gonna p**sy out that easily then you might as well do it now. You JUST got a good camera and a fast lens according to you. Of course your photography isn't going to be jawdroppingly amazing. So what!?!?! Keep working at it. If this is something your passionate about get your bum on google everyday and start looking up tutorials and tips and tricks on how to improve. Grow a thick hide cause this business is BOOMING and your gonna have to have a good niche (you already kinda have the music thing) and some kickass skills (which come with TIME and PRACTICE) and your gonna have to take comments like ^^^ every day and let it roll off your back. Spend some time on TPF and post the best of what you got so the gurus and chew it up and spit it back out at you... Then LEARN from what they say and try again!!! You took some pretty decent amateur shots... You already have the potential to do good. So stop being a baby and nut up or shut up darlin'!

I had my own little pitty party earlier this week and the good people of TPF gave me the same advice...
 
Why give up BEFORE you learn anything?


Ooooh! The melodrama!
 
Ok guys calm down. She's young. No need to beat her into the ground. I changed my concentration in college twice from Painting to Sculpture and then finally to Graphic Design (Photography wasn't an option at my school) She may think she wants something now but later on she could go a totally different direction but first she needs to get into the school she wants. Let's be nice and help her out.

OhI, a lot of your revised portfolio is just repetitious. You have a few more days to get some more shots. Pick 1 or 2 of your favorite concert pick, keep the sax player, the piano is a bit cliche but it works on some levels. Try a self portrait. You can't get more "about you" than a self portrait. What happened to the "air guitar" idea? Go kidnap a friend and make them pose for you :). I like the B&W singer and the jam session with the dog. Ditch the guy in the red holding the cup.

Seriously, you can do this. I know in the end it is your application and your decision. And remember you already got into Savannah you could always keep trying to get into Cali and transfer.
 
its supposed to have a theme and mine is music/musicians

Resistance to criticism.

thanks! the thing is, I live in a really small town so shooting options are really rare for me...I have to go at least 5 hours out of town to find any music. The college I'm applying for knows this and takes it into consideration when they review my stuff. It kinda sucks though =( I only have until november

Creation of excuses.


thanks for all of the feedback!!

Dishonest statement.

2Wheel: I wish I could send a photo of sound check, but the only check I ever see these guys do is drink a whole lot of beer =p

Questionable statement.

A school won't allow blue hair but feeds their students blue meat, exactly why our education system is messed up. My teachers made me change a tshirt that said Florida University of Culture and Knowledge... what they should have done was commended me on the ability to walk around school for 3/4ths of the day with a shirt that said F U @ K down the side of it. I would do some more thinking outside the box small town or not there is music all around us, I'm sure there is a church in your town that ha a choir, if you're lucky they have a black rocking Blues Travelers choir. I'm sure google has answers too, I wish I had google when I was in school.

I quoted this because its just all around awesome. Well we have one church that has a choir, and its about 3 people. Believe me this is one of those towns where you know EVERYTHING about it lol. I have a few friends that are in "bands" they dont play shows, its just jam sessions. I'm hoping one of them will be practicing this weekend or something.

Expressing interest in creating similar work, despite constructive criticism.

CCericola: I see your point, but thats not what music is to me, thats not my style, its so fixed. I dont get any emotion from it, and the college wants to see my interests/styles/passions etc etc TO me music is constantly flowing, never still. Its something you have to capture not pose. Its alive. Thats why all I have is live stuff which I guess may bite me in the a** but ya know I gotta do what I love =] (dont get me wrong those were great pictures, just not what music is to me)

Directly deflecting attemted inspiration for no logical reason.

On a side note I do like the air guitar pic A LOT though thats awesome

I do too.

I just wrote down a lot of ideas that im gonna try to get done this weekend. I was thinking my friend playing air guitar in front of my "wall of band posters" ya know like those are his heroes or something. And I have a bunch of other ideas =]. Well I'm applying to the California College of the Arts and I'm accepted into the Savannah College of Art and Design, but I REALLY want to go to Cali.

oh an if I can, I want that photo to be like a vertical panning shot, just to be different.

Huh?

Thanks, Scuba you and one other person on my latest pot have really made me consider giving up. I used to have confidence that one day I would have the opportunity to get out and learn more, and that opportunity was college. But I really don't believe in myself anymore. I knew my photography obviously wasn't the best, but I never thought once that I had no talent whatsoever. So I'm gonna delete my account on here and every other photography forum. I don't mean this as a hateful post, I've just lost so much now. I always thought dreams were worth being pursued, but I am quite apparently wrong in mine.

Angsty teenspeak.

Analysis complete.
 
Thanks guys, furthering the reason I want to get off of here. Everything I have said has been honest. Tyler you have absolutely no right to "analyze" me. You have never met me before, I had a logical reason for everything I have said. I am still sending in a portfolio but I only have a few days left to send it. Without a scholarship I cant afford college. According to the critique, my photos are crap. Ergo, no scholarship, no college. So I don't have any reason to be disheartened? I apologize. I appreciate the advice given on this site, I do not appreciate the trolling that just blew up on this forum. I hate forums, but I chose one because its my only access to photographers who know what they are talking about. I've been critiqued by college professors, and they were much more professional about it (not generalizing everyone who replied to this topic!) I've already emailed the site to delete my account, so just don't worry about it, I'll finish this on my own, and see where it takes me. Probably no where, but its worth the shot. If I am a typical teen, this site has been the typical forum that loves to jump at any reason to be a jerk. Again, not everyone on here, I have gotten a lot of helpful advice from some of you and I thank you for that.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom