"Coloreds Only"

bowronfam3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted these photos a little while back in the General section, and didn't get much of a response, so I thought I might get some more feedback here.

How I found this place:

My husband and I were going for a drive through the country, and came upon an old abandoned gas station, and saw an old abandoned car in the back lot along the tree line. We pulled in to investigate and found that there was not only one old car, but 5! The oldest was a '53 Buick Roadmaster, the newest was a '68 Bonneville convertible. We also found a '58 Gerstenslager bookmobile. All of these vehicles had license plates for the town we found them in, Columbia, Tennessee. We look to our right and there in all of the overgrowth is an abandoned motel. VERY FREAKIN' CREEPY! I called the historic society for the town, and was told that it used to be a "coloreds only" motel in the 1950s. Now, as you know the South was notorious for racial segregation, and this motel is about 10 minutes outside of Pulaski, which is the birthplace of the KKK. The motel had everything still in place...the beds were in place, curtains still hanging up, dresser with mirror, bathrooms, etc. It's like one day there were people there, and the next day they just left everything behind. I can't wait to find out more information on this place! Please tell me what you think of the photos...thanks!

I'm posting a link to the shots, because there are way too many to post them one by one on here! Sorry! :confused:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystalbowron/sets/72157601662516394/show/

Very neat "photo essay" you could have going on here. You should take 3 of your favorite pictures and put them in the thread. Then people will be more inclined to comment and check out the thread. That is an amazing find and I am sure it was VERY creepy to be around. Its amazing those cars are still there.

very interesting story and some very well composed images...they are a little too processed for my taste though and I'd really like to see some less so and perhaps in b&w too.

I'm inclined to agree with Jon and Roger.

Not only is there potential for great images at this location, also the composition in most of those photos is (to me at least) very good... but the processing seems excessive to the point of being distracting.

I actually rather like the processing.... it gives it a very distinct feel and style. I find it works with this series of images (which are great pics!).

I'm curious, what sort of processing did you do to achieve this look?

I very much like this work. Yes please tell how you get this look. :D

Thank you so much everyone!! I really appreciate the comments! The processing is just using the dodge and burn tool in addition to some contrast boost. Thanks again!

I particularly like the red door knob shot.... so you didn't play with the colours or saturation at all?

I like the processing as well but I seem to gravitate more toward "edgy" images like these. Good job, interesting setting, nice shots.

i like them all, but would like to see the originals as well. I'm a sucker for old natural buildings.

Neat place, neat subject. I agree that they look a little over processed. But it is the kind of place that speaks volumes to you and tells a real story. Would love to spend a week just milling around and doing a real photo study and research the history of the place. Great work overall, good style even with the processing

personally I see them as an interesting story, who were these "Colored" that lived there, what can you tell of them by what was left behind ... you processed them to make them more about you than about the occupants of the motel. I do like many of you images and they would be even better and rerflect more of the place in converted to sepia and/or B&W.

Gary

I would like to see you go back and capture the images on film. I believe that film would convey more.

Rusty

Most reactions

Back