colors in portrait on location

McDuck4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I had my first photoshoot with a model yesterday, but the sky was very grey, so there is not so many colors in the photo. When i look at fx H&M commercial photoshop, there is some very strong colors in the photos:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/599940/thumbs/o-TAN-MODEL-HM-AD-570.jpg?4

There is of course many colors in the photo, but does anyone know how I can get some strong colors in my photo?

Best Regards
Mads

Well, you shot a photoshoot with a gray sky, and then seem surprised that your photos don't have as colorful of a sky than other photos? I'm a bit confused, but okay. If you want more color:

1) Shoot when the sky isn't gray (You will usually need to use flash or clever positioning of your subject to not get harsh lighting)
2) Up the color that you do have (gray is a pretty bad starting point, but if you have, say, a less than terribly interesting blue sky, you can make it bluer with software or filters)
3) You could shoot without the sky in the picture, and choose otherwise colorful surroundings like green spaces or painted buildings or whatever.
4) Or, you could use a studio backdrop, either of the color/scene you want if you can pull that off, or of a green screen so as to be able to shop one in

Option #4 is generally a lot harder than the others, due to requiring more equipment, software, expertise, and most of all, time/effort to make the model and environment have similar looking lighting. This should not be used unless you need something that is impossible or financially unreasonable via normal methods like actually shooting on location.

Not to be rude, but of course i am not surprised. Not was not my question, my question was if there was a possibility to get some colors in my photo, but maybe I didnt explain myself enough. But thank for your answer, and I also tried to think of those things on the shoot. Does anyone else have an idea what I can do with the colors?

Best Regards
Mads

An example photo from your shoot would probably help us understand what you're looking for better.

Off hand, I'd say increase saturation in post processing, and possibly increase contrast as well. But again, it's kind of hard to say without seeing what you're actually up against.

The image you linked to has been post processed using image editing software like Photoshop.

Your profile doesn't show your location, but a bright sunny day at the sea shore makes a good location.

The lighting in the linked to photo also indicates flash and reflectors were used to make the image.
Using flash allows controlling the ambient light exposure separately from the flash exposure with a single shutter release, which allows under exposure of the sky.
Under exposure boosts saturation to some degree.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back