Colour and Brightness

Jules75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've enjoyed browsing this forum over the last few weeks. I've seen some amazing photos, and learnt quite a few things along the way. But, now I've got a question of my own.

I'm new digital photography, but have been using a point and shoot camera for some time, with some success (on an amateur level). I use a Minolta Dimage A1 and Photoshop CS. I have two problems:

First: When I shoot in RAW mode, the colours on the computer screen appear dull and flat. I often have to adjust the contrast, brightness, gamma, colour settings to make the picture look good. If I shoot the same picture in JPEG and transfer to the computer, it looks fine. Why is this, or what am I doing wrong.

Second: I will typically edit my pictures on my home PC, but view them at work. However, the pictures always seem darker at work, and I often have to increase the brightness and gamma levels on them. How can I make sure that my pictures are at the correct level of brightness for most computer screens.

Thanks in advance! 8)

Hi Jules & welcome to our online home. :)

The answer to the first question is that the camera applies no correction at all to a RAW file. Doesn't matter what the camera settings are, it records exactly what it sees. The expectation is that you will provide any "improvements" in post processing. A jpeg file OTOH will have the camera settings applied already. So, you aren't doing anything wrong, it's the nature of the beast.

The answer to the second question is... you can't. As you've noticed already, there are too many variables involved. The same problem has been plaguing web designers for years. The best you can do is make them look good on your monitor & hope for the best.

I run an iBook and I have to be very careful. If I adjust pics to look good on the LCD, they invariably are much too dark on a PC w/CRT screen.

Cheers Photobug,

Thanks for clearing up my RAW query. As a beginner to digital photography, do you think I should stick to JPEG format, until I better understand the concepts and the tools in Photoshop? RAW has obvious advantages, but if my post production skills are good, is it worth it?

I use a digital flat panel monitor for editing of pictures, and it's when I transfer to my PC at work with a CRT screen, I notice the difference. I guess it will have to best endevours on this matter.

:)

Most reactions

Back