Comet 46P- where are you? A tale of Wirtanen love & loss...

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Never did find it! First tried to build a star trail and looked for green:

star trail
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

Then gave up and re-stitched the same images as a timelapse:

Star trail timelapse in 2k
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

Guess 16mm was just too wide! Can one of you astro-brains tell me where in the sky (generally) I shoulda looked? I was facing East and thought it shoulda been at about 30 degrees.

I read it was about two stretched fist east of Orion's Belt. That was how the article said it was easiest to give general location.

I read it was about two stretched fist east of Orion's Belt. That was how the article said it was easiest to give general location.
Much like Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, I have trouble locating Orion's Belt.

Is it pictured in the still, above?

I think you are to low. I have a free app on my phone called sky map. It will help locate constellations. Orion's Belt is three bright stars in a almost vertical row. Rises in the east. I hope some of these suggestions will help.

Apps I use for Astro stuff - Photopills, Stellarium, Sky guide, WeatherRadar, Clear Outside, Aurora, Light Pollution Map. Try them out, hope they help.

Also Peeb, dunno if you have Facebook, but there is a fantastic group called: Astrophotography for beginners, heaps of images of deep space, comets etc posted in it and a wealth of knowledge.

Most reactions

Back