Comets Tonight, post your pics!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So tonight is the Quadrantids Meteor shower, which is supposed to be the best one of the year to watch because the moon is not full. The best time to watch this shower was apparently Thursday morning and this morning, and I was just wondering if anyone went out and took pictures of them? I tried but I just don't have a good viewpoint from where I am, too much light pollution, plus I had a hard time finding north-west :p Anyway, if you could post any of your pictures, that would be great! I wanna see what people come up with :) I'll post some of the pictures I took, albeit meteor-less. Also, if you could write about your technique to achieve those photos, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Missed it... did not read this on time...

Besides: those meteors would have been too fast for my shuttertime !

But I shot Orion for the first time a few days ago :)
Not that sharp though, going to do more attempts later on!

Uh, meteors and comets are very different things but.....

Meteors are meteoroids that become visible for a few seconds as they burn entering Earth's atmosphere. If they don't burn up completely (most do) and reach the ground, they are then called meteorites. Meteoroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comets can be visible for months in telescopes. Comets are small solar system bodies made mostly of ice. Comet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Comets display a coma, which is a thin hazy atmosphere caused by heating from sunlight, and like the planets most comets are in orbit around the Sun.
Some comets also display a tail. The tail of a comet is very tenuous and the 'solar wind' always makes the comet's tail point away from the Sun, such that a comet's tail will be in front of the comet as it moves away from the Sun.

Scientists are now pretty sure a comet entered Earth's atmosphere on June 30, 1908 - Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The event that made scientist pretty sure resulted from astronomers tracking and watching a fragmented comet impacting Jupiter in July of 1994. Comet Shoemaker?Levy 9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keith, you are a man of much knowledge. I actually did notice my mistake after I posted but didn't feel like changing it xD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back