Compact cameras. Need buying advice.

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of selling a few items in order to purchase a compact camera such as Panasonic LUMIX LX 7, Fujifilm, Sony and other brands. I want something that is between a point and shoot and a DSLR. Would like it to be pocketable not bulky, and that takes good shots in low light and daylight. Basically an all around camera that has good quality output. Hopefully something with a good size sensor. Been reading so many reviews on different cameras, it's dizzying. I figure 3 year old camera or newer would be ok. Would like to find something around $150 or so. Been checking out prices on Ebay. Any suggestions from all you pros out there would be appreciated.

The LX-7 is a great choice. If you want to keep it small the Olympus XZ-2 is worth a look. I almost went with the LX-7 but for two features; 1. wide zoom end and the 2. the LCD. I have a Samsung EX-2 which I have to acknowledge is my primary camera because I always have a camera with me and the EX-2 is the camera I grab first. The EX-2 is why I always have a camera with me and because it's always there I take a lot more photos. I wish it was a little smaller but I compromised size for features. You can check out this Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/108413797@N03/ half the photos there are taken with my EX-2.

NOTE: There's no point in asking for the impossible -- it won't get you anywhere. You want it small it gets a smaller sensor. Don't ask smaller sensor cameras to have good low-light performance. They don't.

Joe

Joe's right about the small sensor/low light trade-off. The Panny LX3 onwards and those Olys are good with their 1/1.65 sensors and wide-angle lenses, but compact digitals like this cannot do everything, and low light isn't a strong point with them. Depending on what you are doing you can use the lowest/cleanest ISO setting and take a photo using the selftimer and long shutter speeds (use a wall or table to support the camera). Once the chroma noise gets too heavy, it becomes one reason to shoot in b&w.

..just to add that now, after 10+ years of ultra compact digital cameras being on the market, there are many choices that you could try. For instance the Canoon Elph/IXUS cameras can easily be 'hacked' with a modified SD to shoot raw. The Konica Revio cameras can be raw-enabled too via a service menu (and have good optics). But these cameras are really only users for good jpeg color pictures up to 200-400 ISO. They are fairly cheap and plentiful though. It's better to have a discrete, compact camera that you can carry everywhere than a high-spec big camera that you feel too self-conscious to use - you dare to get the picture with one but not the other.

..just to add that now, after 10+ years of ultra compact digital cameras being on the market, there are many choices that you could try. For instance the Canoon Elph/IXUS cameras can easily be 'hacked' with a modified SD to shoot raw. The Konica Revio cameras can be raw-enabled too via a service menu (and have good optics). But these cameras are really only users for good jpeg color pictures up to 200-400 ISO. They are fairly cheap and plentiful though. It's better to have a discrete, compact camera that you can carry everywhere than a high-spec big camera that you feel too self-conscious to use - you dare to get the picture with one but not the other.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439981170.536703.jpg
any rx100 m4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The LX-7 is a great choice. If you want to keep it small the Olympus XZ-2 is worth a look. I almost went with the LX-7 but for two features; 1. wide zoom end and the 2. the LCD. I have a Samsung EX-2 which I have to acknowledge is my primary camera because I always have a camera with me and the EX-2 is the camera I grab first. The EX-2 is why I always have a camera with me and because it's always there I take a lot more photos. I wish it was a little smaller but I compromised size for features. You can check out this Flickr page: [email protected] half the photos there are taken with my EX-2.

NOTE: There's no point in asking for the impossible -- it won't get you anywhere. You want it small it gets a smaller sensor. Don't ask smaller sensor cameras to have good low-light performance. They don't.

Joe

Thanks ysarex i will take a look at the reviews for the Samsung and also will visit your flicker shots. Another thing I would like is a compact with viewfinder included. Appreciate your thoughts.

Joe's right about the small sensor/low light trade-off. The Panny LX3 onwards and those Olys are good with their 1/1.65 sensors and wide-angle lenses, but compact digitals like this cannot do everything, and low light isn't a strong point with them. Depending on what you are doing you can use the lowest/cleanest ISO setting and take a photo using the selftimer and long shutter speeds (use a wall or table to support the camera). Once the chroma noise gets too heavy, it becomes one reason to shoot in b&w.

I know I can't get it all especially with a mid-range compact. I surely don't have 300 or more to spend for a good one. I'm going to continue to research and see what's out there on EBay. I do thank you for your input.

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of selling a few items in order to purchase a compact camera such as Panasonic LUMIX LX 7, Fujifilm, Sony and other brands. I want something that is between a point and shoot and a DSLR. Would like it to be pocketable not bulky, and that takes good shots in low light and daylight. Basically an all around camera that has good quality output. Hopefully something with a good size sensor. Been reading so many reviews on different cameras, it's dizzying. I figure 3 year old camera or newer would be ok. Would like to find something around $150 or so. Been checking out prices on Ebay. Any suggestions from all you pros out there would be appreciated.

If lowlight is a requirement, you won't find any bridge camera that takes "good" pictures in lowlight. The sensors are just too small to really work well in those situations. Panasonic does make an FZ200 that has a constant F2.8 lens, which helps.. a little., But truthfully even with the F2.8 the lowlight abilities really won't come close to what a DSLR will give you.

The LX-7 is a great choice. If you want to keep it small the Olympus XZ-2 is worth a look. I almost went with the LX-7 but for two features; 1. wide zoom end and the 2. the LCD. I have a Samsung EX-2 which I have to acknowledge is my primary camera because I always have a camera with me and the EX-2 is the camera I grab first. The EX-2 is why I always have a camera with me and because it's always there I take a lot more photos. I wish it was a little smaller but I compromised size for features. You can check out this Flickr page: [email protected] half the photos there are taken with my EX-2.

Joe

Thanks ysarex i will take a look at the reviews for the Samsung and also will visit your flicker shots. Another thing I would like is a compact with viewfinder included. Appreciate your thoughts.

With viewfinder? Say goodbye to pocket size. You could look for one of these: fuji x-20 - Google Search -- great camera.

Joe

Thanks for your thoughts. Will take a look at the cams u mentioned.

Joe

With viewfinder? Say goodbye to pocket size. You could look for one of these: fuji x-20 - Google Search -- great camera.

Joe

LUMIX LX 7 has one but separately, as well as other compacts, but very few.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back