Compact Flash Memory Cards.. Required Speed? -- D800

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, with my D7000 I use Sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s SD cards. I have a D800 on the way, and was planning on getting 3 16gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s SD cards (I have 6 8GB ones already). Since this camera takes an SD AND CF, I was looking at 16gb CF cards, and saw that Sandisks Extreme (not extreme pro) is listed at 120mb/s. Can I get away with this? It's a lot cheaper than the Extreme Pro CF cards. I'm not rich, so I need to be smart about how I spend and such.

Jake

saw that Sandisks Extreme (not extreme pro) is listed at 120mb/s.

That is read speed, write speed is 60mb. The answer your question, yes, you can get away with running them in the D800. I've got a pair of 16 gb 800X lexar CF cards (that translates into 45 write speed) and they work great. That is as low as I care to go though.

I'm using 133x CF cards in mine with no issues.

Is that the write speed?
Damned if I know... :er: that's what's printed on the face of the card! I think it's the write speed, but I know pretty much nothing about that side of things.

Is that a Transcend CF card? If so, it probably translates into 50mb read / 20 mb write.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing being a low write speeds, it really depends a lot on what you're doing. You wouldn't want to use these if you was a sports photographer but they would probably work great for Landscape and real estate photography where speed isn't as crucial. Thats just my opinion anyways.

Is that the write speed?
Damned if I know... :er: that's what's printed on the face of the card! I think it's the write speed, but I know pretty much nothing about that side of things.

Is that a Transcend CF card? If so, it probably translates into 50mb read / 20 mb write.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing being a low write speeds, it really depends a lot on what you're doing. You wouldn't want to use these if you was a sports photographer but they would probably work great for Landscape and real estate photography where speed isn't as crucial. Thats just my opinion anyways.

Well I have the 95mb/s for my D7000.. so speed isn't really an issue right now. Maybe I'll just save a few and get a slower card...

Well I have the 95mb/s for my D7000.. so speed isn't really an issue right now. Maybe I'll just save a few and get a slower card...

I use my second slot as a backup which slows things down a hair, so I try to make sure both my cards are some what quick at writing.

I use my second slot as a backup which slows things down a hair, so I try to make sure both my cards are some what quick at writing.

I wish the camera had dual SD. Haha, then my life would be easy. I'll call nikon and complain..

I wish the camera had dual SD. Haha, then my life would be easy. I'll call nikon and complain..

I'm not sure why the difference in memory cards on Nikon's Semi-Pro and Pro bodies. I did read some place that stated the Compact Flash was faster but I'm not sure how accurate that info is.

The Extreme Pro SD cards in you d7000 are 95 mb/sec READ and 90 WRITE

The CF cards are different speeds .. below for 16GB .. speeds vary with the larger cards

Extreme Pro
150 read and 140 write

Extreme Gold label re
120 read and 60 write (16 - 128 GB cards)

Extreme Black / Red label are
60 Write and Read

Ultra
50 mb.sec read / write

those speeds are designated as "up to " those speeds.

So for writing it doesn't look like much difference between the Gold and black labels Extreme's
Performance for video is also identified
CompactFlash Cards by SanDisk for Business and Consumers

The Extreme Pro SD cards in you d7000 are 95 mb/sec READ and 90 WRITE

The CF cards are different speeds .. below for 16GB .. speeds vary with the larger cards

Extreme Pro
150 read and 140 write

Extreme Gold label re
120 read and 60 write (16 - 128 GB cards)

Extreme Black / Red label are
60 Write and Read

Ultra
50 mb.sec read / write

those speeds are designated as "up to " those speeds.

So for writing it doesn't look like much difference between the Gold and black labels Extreme's
Performance for video is also identified
CompactFlash Cards by SanDisk for Business and Consumers

Thanks for the breakdown!

Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
which one. Did they count the number of shots before it stopped due to the buffer ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back