Completely new to Photography! I need your help!

Wait... I thought you wanted a vintage film camera...

I do.. Its just im not sure if it would be a pain after awhile to print the film and scan them onto a computer... Would i get the same effect of a vintage film camera with say a dSLR like the Canon Rebel? Or is it strictly only 35mm film cameras with that 'look' to them. Hope i don't sound like a fool :confused:

Whoever developes the film for you, can put the photos on a disc, so you don't have to scan prints.

You would then have digital files and could post prpcess tham any way you like.

Whoever developes the film for you, can put the photos on a disc, so you don't have to scan prints.

You would then have digital files and could post prpcess tham any way you like.

That is good news! Never thought of that. Ive been reading online that film prints have better resolution/more megapixels than digitals. Is this true? Also, since I am completely new, would it be a good idea to get a manual camera like the Nikon FM10? Is there any film cameras that have some auto focus or anything? Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be the FM10.

You could always just use any DSLR and find the method to post-process your shots in Photoshop/GIMP like that program in your iPhone does.

That's all it is anyways. Digital Camera API with different effects than the internal iPhone Camera App.

That is good news! Never thought of that. Ive been reading online that film prints have better resolution/more megapixels than digitals. Is this true?
No, that is not true. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a print made from a film negative or one made from a digital file.

Film doesn't have megapixels and film resolution is measure in a very different way than digital resolution.

There are a lot of different kinds of film and how they are processed has a ton to do with the final image quality and resoultion.

You need to do more of your own research.

You should also be aware that shooting film will be quite a bit more expensive on an image-by-image basis than using a digital camera.

There are fewer and fewer good film labs every day.

It is fairly easy to develope B&W film yourself, but then there is still the issue of digitizing and/or printing the negatives. You would need to buy the necesary tools and chemicals.

Color film is a whole other animal and requires more skill to process well.

I would say just go with a DSLR camera. I'm sure you can find a decent one on Ebay or craigslist. You can do so much more with digital than film plus the biggest benifit of digital is you can see the picture and delete but with film you have to wait until you get it developed and you could waist alot of film that way.

Using a digital is alot easier than using a 35mm camera also. The vintange thing is also you can use GIMP a free photo editing program that people have talked about before. Also after a while you might not want the vintage look and your stuck with a 35mm camera.

That is good news! Never thought of that. Ive been reading online that film prints have better resolution/more megapixels than digitals. Is this true?
No, that is not true. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a print made from a film negative or one made from a digital file.

Film doesn't have megapixels and film resolution is measure in a very different way than digital resolution.

There are a lot of different kinds of film and how they are processed has a ton to do with the final image quality and resoultion.

You need to do more of your own research.

You should also be aware that shooting film will be quite a bit more expensive on an image-by-image basis than using a digital camera.

There are fewer and fewer good film labs every day.

It is fairly easy to develope B&W film yourself, but then there is still the issue of digitizing and/or printing the negatives. You would need to buy the necesary tools and chemicals.

Color film is a whole other animal and requires more skill to process well.
Give me a break. For the price to "upgrade" from a dSLR kit lens, you could buy a years supply of developer, stop, and fix, and film. Hell, there'd probably be enough spare change to buy a negative scanner as well.

Most reactions

Back